Gaining weight.

Michelle_W
on 10/29/12 3:35 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 11/10/11

I posted before about medication and weight gain.  I have gained a total of about 35 lbs.  What a downer.  I am going to stop taking the medication that is causing the problem.  I will discuss it with he doc next week.  I had lost 70 lbs at first, so it is really frustrating!!  My lap band is not working the way it was.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

pineview01
on 10/29/12 4:41 am - Davison, MI

A lot of us have had similar problems.  Usually it starts when the band has to be un-filled for some reason.  It never seems to work the same.  I had a med for anxiety that caused weight gain.  They had me take it at least the first year after banding.  I stopped taking it and still struggled with the band not working the same.  But by than I had over three years of filling, un-filling and medical problems caused by the band.

Good Luck!  I hope the doctor lets you stop the meds and it all works out for you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jean M.
on 10/29/12 7:31 am
Revision on 08/16/12

Don't stop taking the medication until you talk to your doctor. Stopping some medications cold turkey can cause extremely unpleasant symptoms.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

carol468
on 10/29/12 10:55 pm

I have been experiencing the same problem.  I take a medication for bipolar disorder and it is known to cause obesity.  I have tried to switch medications but never had any luck.  I have been walking 3 miles a day for the past  12 weeks and I think I have only lost like 6 lbs!!!  It is so frustrating.  I wish I would have had gastric bypass.  I have lost 35 lbs in 20 months.  I know what you are going through.... good luck to you, maybe you can get off your medication...

Michelle_W
on 10/29/12 11:08 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 11/10/11

Thank you for your reply.  My med is also for Bipolar disorder.  I exercise almost every day too.  I am going to talk to the doc tomorrow about going off of it.

cdoss
on 10/30/12 1:47 am

May I ask which medication it is?  I am on meds for bipolar. That's why I'm curious.

Most Active