need helpful hints

rere10
on 3/31/13 9:08 am

cheeky  I'm so mad.  I"ve grand 12 pounds and the doctor yelled at me.  I don't know what to do.  I know some of the things I've been eating are wrong. I don't always feel full but I don't know why I eat.  I don't know if I'm eating to fast and then It just stays in my throat.  Can anyone help me with This   RERE

My new life started on 10-21-09   

Hislady
on 3/31/13 10:03 am - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like you are a bit tight, a  small unfill would probably help. I know it sounds opposite of what you think you need but when we are too tight we tend to eat softer more calorie filled food because it goes down easier. Then we gain weight because of it, So try a tiny unfill and then you should be able to eat the dense protein that will help you lose. Be the way NO doctor should ever yell at you!

Herman
on 3/31/13 11:30 am

What Hislady said...............and don't let the doctor yell at you. You pay the bill for the office call. He is supposed to be there to help you.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Kate -True Brit
on 3/31/13 7:57 pm - UK

How unprofessional of your doctor. 

As we all said on this and on your last post, if food is sitting above the band, your  band is probably too tight. Instead of yelling, he should have suggested a slight unfill. Being too tight often leads to weight gain as people resort to slider foods.

Unless you ARE eating too fast, in which case take smaller bites and slow down!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pineview01
on 4/1/13 11:18 am - Davison, MI

What they all said.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/13 11:58 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA

Remind your doctor that he actually WORKS FOR YOU, and then write a formal complaint to his supervisors and your ins company.

You're not eating too fast, your surgeon is a moron !

Objective: This work establishes an animal model for nonadjustable gastric banding and characterizes the effect of gastric banding on esophageal physiology.

Summary Background Data: Obstruction at the esophagogastric junction (EGJ) results in esophageal dilation and aperistalsis. Although laparoscopic gastric banding as a primary treatment of morbid obesity has been widely accepted, the effects of this therapy on esophageal function remain unknown.

Methods: Twenty-five opossums were randomly divided into sham (n = 5), EGJ band (n = 5), and gastric band (n = 15) groups. Gastric and EGJ bands were surgically placed, and esophageal manometry was performed prebanding, at 2-week intervals during the banding period (up to 14 weeks), and 2 and 4 weeks after band removal.

Results: Manometric measures were equivalent prior to banding in all groups. There were no changes in LES or esophageal pressures during the study period in the sham group. During banding, there was a 36% decrease in baseline mean resting lower esophageal sphincter pressure in the gastric band group (P = 0.003). Mean distal esophageal peristaltic pressure decreased from baseline by 36% in gastric band animals (P < 0.001). The incidence of esophageal motility disorder during the study period for sham, EGJ band, and gastric band groups, was 2.9%, 42.1%, and 31.3%, respectively (P = 0.001, P = 0.381, pairwise comparisons of gastric band vs. sham and gastric band versus EGJ groups, respectively). Immediately prior to band removal, the probability of an abnormal peristaltic sequence with each swallow was 1%, 38%, and 16% for sham, EGJ, and gastric band groups, respectively (P < 0.005, pairwise comparisons of band groups with sham).

Conclusions: Nonadjustable gastric banding results in impaired esophageal body motility, a reduction in esophageal peristaltic pressure, and a reduction in resting lower esophageal sphincter pressure. These findings suggest that gastric banding causes esophageal outlet obstruction and subsequent decompensation of peristaltic function as well as a compromise of the native antireflux mechanism.

AKA:

GETTING "STUCK"

EATING "TOO FAST"

TAKING "TOO BIG OF A BITE"

"NOT CHEWING YOUR FOOD THOROUGHLY ENOUGH"

Truthfully all the above mentioned excuses in purple are the lies and misinformation our surgeons and VETS like to sell to you,us,the newly banded, and future pre-op's as,

" The Truth " about the LAGB, when in reality... it is foolish as well as dangerous medical answers to what the lap band is really doing to your body, not to mention your quality of life.

Taken from ANNALS of Surgery www. journals.lww.com

http://journals.lww.com/annalsofsurgery/Abstract/2006/11000/A_Model_for_Gastric_Banding_in_the_Treatment_of.17.aspx

Topic: You're not " Stuck " your band is causing pressure on your esophagus

Pumpkin X .
Califreakinfornia , CA
Lap Band (06/19/06) Member Since: 12/20/05
[Latest Posts]

...and it's very painfull, and the longer this goes on...the more severe the pain will become, and the risks of permanent damage are very real.

If your band is functioning perfectly, then just bookmark this for future reference, hopefully you will never ever have to lay eyes on it again.
If your still going forward with having a LAGB implanted, then just bookmark this for future reference, hopefully you will never ever have to lay eyes on it again.

How does the normal esophagus function?

The esophagus has three functional parts. The uppermost part is the upper esophageal sphincter, a specialized ring of muscle that forms the upper end of the tubular esophagus and separates the esophagus from the throat. The upper sphincter remains closed most of the time to prevent food in the main part of the esophagus from backing up into the throat. The main part of the esophagus is referred to as the body of the esophagus, a long, muscular tube approximately 20 cm (8 in) in length. The third functional part of the esophagus is the lower esophageal sphincter, a ring of specialized esophageal muscle at the junction of the esophagus with the stomach. Like the upper sphincter, the lower sphincter remains closed most of the time to prevent food and acid from backing up into the body of the esophagus from the stomach.

What is achalasia?

Achalasia is a rare disease of the muscle of the esophagus (swallowing tube). The term achalasia means "failure to relax" and refers to the inability of the lower esophageal sphincter (a ring of muscle situated between the lower esophagus and the stomach) to open and let food pass into the stomach. As a result, patients with achalasia have difficulty in swallowing food.

http://www.medicinenet.com/achalasia/article.htm#tocb

What is dysphagia?

Dysphagia is the medical term for the symptom of difficulty swallowing, derived from the Latin and Greek words meaning difficulty eating.

http://www.medicinenet.com/swallowing/article.htm

What is esophageal spasm?

Esophageal spasms are irregular, uncoordinated, and sometimes powerful contractions of the esophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. Normally, contractions of the esophagus are coordinated, moving the food through the esophagus camera and into the stomach.

There are two main types of esophageal spasm:

• Diffuse esophageal spasm. This type of spasm is an irregular, uncoordinated squeezing of the muscles of the esophagus. This can prevent food from reaching the stomach, leaving it stuck in the esophagus.
  • THIS IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND because many banded people think that their food is stuck due to not chewing well or they think they ate too fast.
  •  
  • Nutcracker esophagus. This type of spasm squeezes the esophagus in a coordinated way, the same way food is moved down the esophagus normally. But the squeezing is very strong. These contractions move food through the esophagus but can cause severe pain.
  • Again, this is often explained away by band surgeons and banded patients as eating to fast and/or not chewing well enough.

You can have both types of esophageal spasms.

Check out this link and then see if your surgeon or PCP can order you this test.There is a lot of really useful links here.

What is achalasia?

www.medicinenet.com/achalasia/article.htm#tocb

Esophageal manometry

Another test, esophageal manometry, can demonstrate specifically the abnormalities of muscle function that are characteristic of achalasia, that is, the failure of the muscle of the esophageal body to contract with swallowing and the failure of the lower esophageal sphincter to relax. For manometry, a thin tube that measures the pressure generated by the contracting esophageal muscle is passed through the nose, down the back of the throat and into the esophagus. In a patient with achalasia, no peristaltic waves are seen in the lower half of the esophagus after swallows, and the pressure within the contracted lower esophageal sphincter does not fall with the swallow. In patients with vigorous achalasia, a strong simultaneous contraction of the muscle may be seen in the lower esophageal body. An advantage of manometry is that it can diagnose achalasia early in its course at a time at which the video-esophagram may be normal.

Esophagus

After food is chewed into a bolus, it is swallowed and moved through the esophagus. Smooth muscles contract behind the bolus to prevent it from being squeezed back into the mouth. Then rhythmic, unidirectional waves of contractions will work to rapidly force the food into the stomach. This process works in one direction only and its sole purpose is to move food from the mouth into the stomach.[2]

In the esophagus, two types of peristalsis occur.

A simplified image showing peristalsis
  • First, there is a primary peristaltic wave which occurs when the bolus enters the esophagus during swallowing. The primary peristaltic wave forces the bolus down the esophagus and into the stomach in a wave lasting about 8–9 seconds. The wave travels down to the stomach even if the bolus of food descends at a greater rate than the wave itself, and will continue even if for some reason the bolus gets stuck further up the esophagus.
  • In the event that the bolus gets stuck or moves slower than the primary peristaltic wave (as can happen when it is poorly lubricated), stretch receptors in the esophageal lining are stimulated and a local reflex response causes a secondary peristaltic wave around the bolus, forcing it further down the esophagus, and these secondary waves will continue indefinitely until the bolus enters the stomach.

Esophageal peristalsis is typically assessed by performing an esophageal motility study.

Most Active