ALL FLUID TAKEN OUT IN PREPERATION FOR REVISION - NOW ACID REFLUX??

mcmds
on 4/7/13 10:36 pm

Hi! I had all of my fluid taken out of my band (approximately 6cc) and I am now (for the first time ever) experiencing moderate to severe acid reflux on more than one night per week. This is something that has not happened to me EVER while I had fluid in my band, or pre-band.

For your information, I also had an Upper GI study (swallow the barium) not too long ago (before I decided to take the band out) because I was not losing any weight (after three years - uh duh), and they found that my band was "fine" but that my esophagus was "slightly dilated" and I am wondering if this could be related to my new condition.

Have any of you experienced this?

Please advise, because it is extremely uncomfortable! I hope to get revised to the sleeve but am now extremely nervous that I will have a lifetime of heartburn ahead of me.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Michelle

Thank you!

Michelle

Stephanie M.
on 4/8/13 1:14 am

Michelle, my reflux worsened after my band was empties and its because the LES has been damaged by the band.  I now have full blown achalasia, because it doesn't open in response to swallowing.  That night time reflux was horrible.  This is most likely due to your band.  I've heard that getting the band removed can help.   

Please join our group, if you haven't...http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/discussion /

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

mcmds
on 4/8/13 1:29 am

Hi, thanks for the response. I am getting more and more nervous reading more about this on other sites as well. I hope there hasn't been permanent damage done to my body because of this stupid band. I can not wait to get it out of me. I tried to join the group but I got a message saying my account did not have permission to do so. I am not sure what that means, or how to go about getting permission, but thank you for the invite!

Thank you!

Michelle

Stephanie M.
on 4/8/13 2:11 am

There should be a button "Join Group".  We do have to be able to see your profile, so friend me or set your profile to public and we can add you.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Stephanie M.
on 4/8/13 6:06 am
I added you as a friend, please go to the page again and ask to join.

http://m.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/welcome/

Zee Starrlite
on 4/8/13 3:11 am

Just wanted to say that the Band is ALWAYS fine.  It is our insides that get messed up.  I had  my band removed due to a dilated esophagus that would not resolved.

You will be fine once that band is out.  For now, maybe take an acid reducer, pile up your pillows, stay away from acidy foods like chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, citrus . .  . and do not eat a couple of hours before bed. 

All Best.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

grannymedic1
on 4/8/13 7:18 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Call your surgeon and request a PPI. You will be on it if you get a sleeve, anyway. Most of us are. Sometimes it resolves several months after surgery, other times not.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

pineview01
on 4/8/13 11:04 am - Davison, MI

I had responded and if went puff.  I think everyone above covered it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active