Weird bulge...

la_maestra
on 5/13/13 12:54 pm - AZ

Hi all,

It's been a while, I know. Has anyone had any issues with a bulge in their abdomen where their pouch  is along with  some dull aches when breathing in. It's uncomfortable, but not terribly painful. I did have su****onight, though I only had a few pieces. I waited until 30 minutes after to drink anything. I'm burping (sorry), and I don't have any "digestive issues"; just the weirdness of the bulge. If I raise my arms or lean back, it doesn't hurt at all.

I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen before. I'm a little concerned, I have to admit. I'm hoping I'm just a little over full since I'm trying to also rehydrate from being sick.

So what do you all think? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Heather

la_maestra
on 5/13/13 1:02 pm - AZ

That should read I had sushi. Weird edit there.

pineview01
on 5/13/13 1:25 pm - Davison, MI

Are you saying you have a bulge you can see from the outside?  Or just a full feeling?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 5/13/13 1:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

Nope can't say that I've ever had any bulges anywhere. I hope you "deflate" from your bulge soon. Must be uncomfortable. kiss

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 2:22 pm
On May 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, la_maestra wrote:

Hi all,

It's been a while, I know. Has anyone had any issues with a bulge in their abdomen where their pouch  is along with  some dull aches when breathing in. It's uncomfortable, but not terribly painful. I did have su****onight, though I only had a few pieces. I waited until 30 minutes after to drink anything. I'm burping (sorry), and I don't have any "digestive issues"; just the weirdness of the bulge. If I raise my arms or lean back, it doesn't hurt at all.

I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen before. I'm a little concerned, I have to admit. I'm hoping I'm just a little over full since I'm trying to also rehydrate from being sick.

So what do you all think? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Heather

I think your band might be higher than you realize.  It's under your rib cage.  Is the bump near an incision?

Stephanie M.
on 5/14/13 1:51 am

Your "pouch" which is the top part of your stomach is tucked away safely behind your liver and other organs and unless you have other GI problems that cause bloating, should not present as a bulge you would be able to see or feel.  The stomach is actually closer to your back than your front, which is why if food gets stuck, you'll feel the discomfort in the back.  Call your doctor if you're concerned something is wrong.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Susans_journey
on 5/14/13 6:40 am

Hi Heather,

The bulge could be arising from a few issues, the most common and benign would be an abdominal wall hernia.  I have a link below that will show the most common types of hernias (not just abdominal wall hernias).  As other posters have mentioned, it is probably a good idea to have your doc check it out.  Your "pouch" will not be visible through the abdominal wall and even with an abdominal wall hernia will not migrate through that opening, so you can rest assured a bit with that info.  And to clarify a previous poster- the reason that you have pain in the back or shoulder region with stomach issues (the actual stomach organ, not the abdominal wall)  is not because the stomach rests more posterior (back further) but rather that embryonically, some of the tissue that makes up the stomach came from the same layer of stem cell tissue and are innervated by similar nerves (this is why cardiac pain from the death of heart tissue (heart attack) refers to the left arm, jaw, and sometimes in women, back, or why gall bladder disease demonstrates with pain to the right scapular and right upper abdomen.  It is called a viscero-somatic reflex.  So, that clarified, take a look at the link for information-but I suggest a call to your family doc to have him/her take a "look-see".  Good luck.

Susan

http://hernia.tripod.com/types.html#EPI

Lisa O.
on 5/15/13 7:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure it's not you port?  As I lost weight my port became more visible under my skin.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/15/13 7:15 am

Yeah, My port after weight loss became huge!!! 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

pineview01
on 5/15/13 12:51 pm - Davison, MI

Are you still there OP?  We would love to know what you have found out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active