Off Topic

JudyAz
on 8/3/13 6:24 am - FL

Ordering books for my two college kids age 20 and 22(the boy is a late bloomer) and all I have to say is....REALLY!   Almost as much as the tuition and just when I get it figured out to use amazon and other sites, the professors write their own booklets and make bundles...for those with little kids...start saving, for those with older kids..good luck..lol

JudyAz
on 8/3/13 6:31 am - FL

to clarify...bundles are bundled packages of things along with the book,  not available in other on line stores, nothing to due with professors incomes..

Hislady
on 8/3/13 8:59 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh I remember when I was going to some college classes and we HAD to buy from the campus book store no other options, couldn't even buy used ones from past students they had to be brand new. They cost a fortune way back then too. I got grant money for school but most of it went for books so I never really came out ahead by much. Upper level school is crazy expensive!

pineview01
on 8/3/13 12:11 pm - Davison, MI

I put three thru college.  Been there done that.cool  That after putting myself thru and getting degree after I had the three.  I thought is was bad than like stated I had to buy mine thru the School book store- NO AMAZON

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

JudyAz
on 8/3/13 10:52 pm - FL

You are my Hero!

vlp1968
on 8/4/13 1:18 am

What really got me when I was in college was the resale of used books.  I got pennies when I returned my books to the book store and they would turn around and sell them for lots more. 

heathercross
on 8/5/13 9:59 am - New York, NY

clegg.com

JudyAz
on 8/5/13 10:23 am - FL

Thanks, I've priced on there, too. I go by price and rating. Lately, last two years, their schools are making these specialty bundles that are only available at school book store. Big money to be made in books. Now they are all needing books AND access codes for internet sites for homework......hopefully one graduating this year!

Member Services
on 8/7/13 4:43 am - Irvine, CA

Do you think going ebooks will lesson the cost?

JudyAz
on 8/7/13 5:36 am - FL

Not sure. If they have ebooks, they pay for that online access, some costs same, some you can "rent" e book for semester. A lot of my kid's classes have option of buy new, used, rent or ebook. I find buying on other sites, used, new  and a edition or two older works. We end up buying on line access codes for homework pages/quizzes.  One of my kids does well using internet and online. My Son needs textbook and old fashioned notebook with notes, so lots of variables. I guess textbooks are a big industry. I know some adults doing on line master's programs and its the same if not more expense, with all on line class and books.

Most Active