Questions

T-I-N-A
on 8/6/13 4:45 am

I had my surgery 12/2006, I was very successful and lost 110 lbs in a year.  I was so successful, the lap-band office wanted me to do their commercial.  THEN, old habits began to creep back and I slowly started to gain weight.  Every time I would go back to get a fill, I always ended up having to get an unfill because I would get acid reflux.  Since that time, I have gained back everything, I can eat ANYTHING with no throwing up, and I do occasionally have heart burn, and I moved.  May 2012, I had gallbladder issues, it just so happened that my surgeon was also a bariatric dr.  He had me do an upper GI, I had a minor slip, gave me a complete unfill, and then it worked itself out, so I got a fill.  Now, I haven't been to see him since last year, and I have an appointment tomorrow.  Is it possible for me to get back on track or was the band a complete loss?  Anyone been banded this long?

vlp1968
on 8/6/13 5:42 am

I don't have answers for you, but just wanted to sympathize and let you know you are not alone.  I was banded 11/09 and lost 107 pounds in ten months.  I have gained about 70 of that back, haven't been able to face the scale in a while.  I know how frustrating, embarrassing, defeating it is.  I have come to the conclusion that I lost the weight too fast.  I never really made the lifestyle chages necessary.  The closest I came to cheating was a little bit of extra nuts or lf cheese.  As I started maintanance, I started having binges, saying tomorrow I will get back on track.  Well, getting back on track was very difficult.  Holidays and vacations were also difficult.  I am now still struggling.  I have had a few good days, but have a vacation coming up.  I plan to stick with the "program" until vacation, and then allow some treats.  After all, it is a lifestyle change and vacations are special.  I won't go crazy, but won't completely deprive myself either.  Again, you are not alone!

danixbanani
on 8/7/13 6:45 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Hi there,

I was banded in 2008 so I'm not *too* far behind you.  Your story is similar to my story except that I decided to revise.  I think that if you are dedicated, you can probably make your band work for you.  It sounds like you don't have too many complications besides acid reflux...it COULD get worse, don't get me wrong, but it sounds like you're in an okay place right now.

For me, I didn't lose that much weight with the band, no matter how compliant I was.  After about two years with the band and not losing any more weight (I lost 50lbs and that was it) I became frustrated and slider foods became my friend.  I would get EVERYTHING stuck no matter how much I chewed and so slider foods were my only option for nutrition.  I developed GERD and a hiatel hernia.  I decided to have my band removed in July 2012 because I couldn't stand the pain, the puking, or the constant fills and unfills.  It just didn't work for me.  I try not to aggressively bash the band because I know that it does work for some but not all.  Anyway, I revised to the sleeve and life has been considerably different.  I have no more acid reflux, I can eat normally, and best of all no fills and unfills.

I hate to say this but statistics show that if a band has slipped once, it will most likely slip again.  I say monitor it for now.  I monitored my band for about a year before really taking the plunge and revising.  Talk to your surgeon about options and hear his/her opinion on the matter.  I wish you the best of luck!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Member Services
on 8/8/13 3:19 am - Irvine, CA

We wanted to wish you luck and never give up! It's never too late!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active