My surgery isn't until Nov 5. Any advice for preparation?

barb.k
on 9/28/13 12:06 am - Williamson, GA

I feel like I am  nesting to give birth. I have desire to get organized. I started a food diary using fitness pal. I am eating protein first.  I am going to buy a journal. I still haven't started exercising (something I actually like to do when I can move easier). My surgeon doesn't require a special diet preop. I am also getting rid of foods that tempt me that I shouldn't eat (we are empty nesters). Any other advice would be appreciated.

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/13 7:40 am

To be honest I would take the time between now and surgery to honestly research surgery types.  Make sure you are okay with having a temporary fix.  Make sure you realize that most ins co's are going to a once in a lifetime wls and when you need a revision you will most likely be self pay.  Really consider why you are choosing a surgery type with the most complications and the least success.  Bands have more complications in number than bypass.  Sleeves are the safest surgery type long term.  Ask yourself sincerely why in spite of everything known about bands today and how most are removed in the first few years and it is not common to keep a band 10 years... that is the surgery type you want.

Newbies are the people claiming that if you just follow the rules you will be fine.  Vets don't typically say that.  If only it were that easy. :o(

Regardless, I wish you the best!

barb.k
on 9/28/13 9:26 am - Williamson, GA

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your honesty. Now time for my honesty.....I accidently put this on the band forum. I have done my research and am scheduled for a RNY Nov 5.  Thanks for pointing that out to me. Hope others that read this post will learn from it...your reply, and my not posting correctly!!

barb.k

pineview01
on 9/30/13 12:55 pm - Davison, MI

Wow!  That worked out for the best.  Kinda funny though.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/13 8:11 pm
On September 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, barb.k wrote:

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your honesty. Now time for my honesty.....I accidently put this on the band forum. I have done my research and am scheduled for a RNY Nov 5.  Thanks for pointing that out to me. Hope others that read this post will learn from it...your reply, and my not posting correctly!!

I'm glad you are not choosing a band!  Good luck to you!

Member Services
on 9/28/13 8:52 am - Irvine, CA

It sounds like all your preparation is right on target.  Here is some information that you may find helpful.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

Best wishes, we will be waiting for you on the loser's bench.

Most Active