Not able to lose more than EWL 70% 235 to 185 ish? Is it possible to lose 100% Excess weight?

Carl S.
on 5/4/14 9:32 pm
with

No matter what I do, my weight stayed at 185ish. 235lb was my max so that's about 60% of excess weight loss. I heard this is very common with lap band.

What are things I need to do to get to 100% excess weight loss? The big hurdle is that I'm still at obese 2 years after the lap band with exercise.

When my weight drops below 185lbs my body tries hard to slow it's metabolism to make it back 190lbs.

Hislady
on 5/5/14 5:12 am - Vancouver, WA

With the band there may be nohing more you can do to reach 100% loss that is just the way the band is, many of us have only lost 20 lbs or so. The only things I know of that you "might" try are change up your exercise and be sure you do strength training as well as cardio work. As for diet make sure you stick to the original number of ounces of protein you were given and go with non starchy veggies, keep carbs low under 50 grams. Other than that, revision is about the only real way to have a chance at 100% weight loss. There are literally thousands who have had to have revisions because the band diodn't work for them. In fact even the manufacturers admitted that only 50% of people lost ANY weight with the band muchless 100% weight loss.

Carl S.
on 5/5/14 10:30 am
with

Thank you, and though because I never went below obese with high blood pressure. I am hoping to qualify for Gastric bypass. They put requirements like "must have been severely obesed for the past 2 years" I'm not sure if "obese" would be qualified as such.

pineview01
on 5/5/14 10:38 pm - Davison, MI

I was considered a success with a 40% EWL!  I to still was obese and the HBP came back.  I have lose 100% with the sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/5/14 6:17 pm, edited 5/6/14 3:34 am - UK

Yes. I did, many others do. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body has no choice but to use the stored energy (fat). All the band does is give you a helping hand by encouraging you to eat less,  unlike bypass which leads to malabsorption for a couple of years and so does some of the work for you. 

Some people need fewer calories than others do; but the basic equation remains, if you under-eat, you burn fat. 

So you may need to drop calories and at same the same time boost your metabolism by increasing exercise. You don't say what you eat at the moment and what exercise you do. If you post that, you may get some good ideas.

Not losing all excess weight with the band is quite common simply because it is hard work. But that can happen with  any surgery. To some extent, we choose how much we lose. We decide what we eat!

just to add, that last paragraph is not a dig at Hislady or Pineview, they both had serious band related issues. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Robbin
on 5/6/14 1:27 am - OK

Awesome words!  I was banded in Jan 07 at 290 - 300 pounds.  By Jan 11 I was down to 170. I stayed there for a year before losing another pound.  At that point I started walking and lowering calories.  Lost down to 125 by July 13.  The only way I can maintain is too stay under 1200 calories and walk 4 miles (16 to 17 minute miles) at least 4 times a week.  After you get a routine of what and when to eat combined with exercise it becomes a way of life.  I had to give up all white for three years nearly to accomplish this.  I still rarely eat anything with flour, sugar or salt.  I use almond meal and flax seed meal for flour.  Drink almond milk instead of cow milk, saving about 70 calories :)

KEEP going, it's a long walk but you have many sojourners on your path!

Carl S.
on 5/6/14 4:49 am
with

Very curious,

1-How many meals do you eat a day and does it consist of one lean protein and veggies? Don't you get hungry in between meals having only 1200 calories per day?

2-What are the keys to your successes?

Thanks!

kathkeb
on 5/6/14 3:01 pm

I lost 100% of my excess weight.

I can live on 1200 calories a day .... Usually like this

B -- Greek yogurt, 150 calories

Snack -- string cheese or small banana --- 50-80 calories

L -- Tuna, light mayo, cucumber or tomato slices, whole grain wheat thins .... 300 calories

Snack -- peeled apple or string cheese ... 50 calories

Dinner ---3-4 ounces of lean protein, veg or sweet potato .. Around 400 calories

Snack -- pudding snack or fruit or string cheese with a few low fat crackers ---200 calories

So, I eat 6 times in 12 hours (8am - 8 pm typically), then I brush, floss and gargle and close the kitchen for the night.

On days when I exercise more than an hour, I add another snack, if I want it.

Kath

Robbin
on 5/6/14 10:36 pm - OK

That is about the way I eat also. I have two different daily plans going right now. One is 300 calories per meal with three 100 calorie snack. The other is planning out 1200 calories for the day and pick something to eat every two hours. 

For me, I have to stay relentless, organized and pre-plan every day! I've had to completely change. I don't go to pot luck dinners, limit social activities that have food to once a month if all possible, and view eating in a whole different light.

My body is a vessel in which I use to "drive" me through life much like a car is useless sitting in the driveway. It's only bennificial to you if it's in good running order and fuel. The body is the same way. Feed it the proper nutrition it needs for the task at hand.

i read a lot, about every organ and what it needs, about how the endrocrine system works and food that supports ultimate health. And I have to be regimented about it, almost obcessed. Focus and priority. If I am not this way I slip. Given choices it's a strong possibility that I will choose a naughty carb. 

I hope the day comes when I lose the brain thought path that is my unconscience pattern but if it doesn't I am ok with it. I feel better about me now than I did skinny and 25. I never forget how it was 200 pounds ago and daily stay humble and grateful the doctor and procedure. I am me now. 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/6/14 10:24 pm - UK
On May 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM Pacific Time, Carl S. wrote:

Very curious,

1-How many meals do you eat a day and does it consist of one lean protein and veggies? Don't you get hungry in between meals having only 1200 calories per day?

2-What are the keys to your successes?

Thanks!

I eat four or five times most days, when losing I stick to around 1200, when maintaining I don't count. Probably why I have to go back to losing every few months!

Yesterday, trying to lose, so aiming for 1200 and at home all day so could eat when I wanted.

B skinny latte  100

10ish  2 boiled eggs 150

lunch    Piece of haddock in batter (oven cooked),  bowl of diced mango  350

mid afternoon   2 rice cakes, smoked cheese  150

dinner   Chicken, veg, new pots  300

mid evening    yoghurt,  diced mango. 150

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active