I need your help

nanfrost
on 8/12/14 3:37 am - OR

I had lap band surgery 7 years ago. It's been great. I've lost and kept off 143 pounds. HOWEVER, the last year I've had problems, -food/fluid coming up in the night while sleeping. Happening more regularly. I had chg'd my diet and tried to eat more  raw veggies. (wondering if that caused a problem) I wonder if it could be an ulcer, irratation, etc. What can i try first before going back to the doctors, etc? You guys are great.

I'm scared and need Ideas.  Thank you

Hislady
on 8/12/14 4:10 am, edited 8/12/14 4:14 am - Vancouver, WA

You must get back to your doctor as soon as possible! This is a very dangerous thing and can cause aspiration pneumonia or even worse you can choke to death in your sleep. This is a common problem with the band and usually needs at the very least a small unfill. The band continues to tighten even with no fills because of scar tissue building up between the band and the stomach. You really have to get in to see your surgeon right away, even people with no fill can suffer from this and then the band usually has to come out. You may be able to just get away with an unfill for awhile, but I would suggest you look at other types of surgery because the band is only good for about 10 years if that long. So eventually you will need something else.

nanfrost
on 8/18/14 7:31 am - OR

Thank you for your advice. I have an inflammed esophagus. He took out the fill for 3 months, said all would be fine. My fill was too tight. I asked how long the band is good for -"your lifetime"

Thanks again for your help.

Nancy

bklynlisar
on 8/12/14 7:00 am, edited 8/12/14 7:00 am - Staten Island, NY

Sounds like a band slip to me..head to the doc- this is important... - probably do a swallow test, then unfill your band I've had a few slips in my 11 years.  It will be OK. Stay away from snacking before bedtime too, good luck!

nanfrost
on 8/12/14 8:46 am - OR

thank you, i have an appt Friday.

donnamy3sons
on 8/12/14 6:38 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

started having that and ended up having a revision, found out I had a lot of scar tissue around my band that made it like I had restriction all the time even with my band unfilled. good luck

Kate -True Brit
on 8/12/14 7:08 pm - UK

It is more likely to be a build up of scar tissue than a slip. If so, a small unfill might do the trick.

I have twice had this happen although very mildly; just very mild night time reflux for me. No choking etc.. Once at about 4 or 5 years out, once about a year after that. Both times taking just 0.1 ml out did the trick and I have been fine for a couple of years now. 

Hope that that is all that is the matter for you! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

shining_starre
on 8/13/14 6:38 pm

This sounds like it can be acid reflux disease along with possibly a few other issues. Acid Reflux is very common with this surgery, and only gets worse if you ignore it and isn't treated. I also have the lap band surgery, and I've had acid reflux even before I got my surgery. It seems to have gotten stronger now that I had weight loss surgery, and I'm laying down, and I would be lying down and I threw up in my mouth more than once. I'm waiting to go to get testing done for my upper GI so the doctors can identify the problem and find out why this is happening. Your band could have also slipped like others on here have said. I haven't even had mine a year, so I'm still learning! Good Luck to you!! 

Kitty C
on 8/19/14 3:28 am
Most Active