would like some information

abuddingrose
on 7/21/09 6:02 am - Essex, MD
Since this is a lupus forum I have a few questions about lupus.  My mother had lupus for 30 yrs before being diagnosed.  What kind of testing do they do these days for lupus?  What are the chances of inheriting lupus?  The last I knew the only way for a true dianosis is made is when an autopsy is done and every thing else is lupus suspect.

I am curious about this.  My mother died at the age of 57 and I just turned 51.  Any and all comments are welcome.

Hugs from Baltimore

Lori
~Truffles~
on 8/3/09 8:01 am - VA
On July 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, abuddingrose wrote:
Since this is a lupus forum I have a few questions about lupus.  My mother had lupus for 30 yrs before being diagnosed.  What kind of testing do they do these days for lupus?  What are the chances of inheriting lupus?  The last I knew the only way for a true dianosis is made is when an autopsy is done and every thing else is lupus suspect.

I am curious about this.  My mother died at the age of 57 and I just turned 51.  Any and all comments are welcome.

Hugs from Baltimore

Lori
Hi Lori,

Sorry about your mother. Lupus is a treacherous disease and can be quite difficult for physicians to diagnose. Many of the symptoms can mimic other diseases causing much confusion.

I've had lupus for about 24 years. I was diagnosed as a teen.

To my knowledge, depending on the symptoms, one main test is the ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) test, another is a routine CBC, and another is a syphilis test (some with lupus will have a false-positive result thus giving the indication of lupus). Many rheumies use these tests as gages.

Mine used the ANA to diagnose me, plus my symptoms at the time (flushed cheeks, chronic joint pain, blood clotting disorder, joint swelling, hair loss, chronic pain, mucosal ulcers, severely swollen lymph nodes, and a constant low grade fever) pointed to lupus.

My original diagnosis was juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA), but my various symptoms did not fit JRA to the satisfaction of my doc. He was very proactive in seeking the disorder that best fit all of my ongoing issues.

I'm not verse on the inheritability of lupus, but there is a host of information at www.lupus.org.

HTH,

Renee
Jeane
on 8/17/09 8:07 am, edited 8/17/09 8:08 am
 ANA is very broad - and can mean nothing, or some other autoimmune illness.
There are antibodies that are far more specific for lupus.  One is the anti-Smith antibody.

Renee is right that clinical symptoms must also be considered - non-erosive arthritis (swollen joints), a "butterfly" rash across the face or a discoid rash (if discoid and not systemic lupus),
oral mucosal ulcers (sores in the mouth), severe fatigue, kidney proteinuria (protein in urine) indicating renal problem, and more..

A diagnosis of lupus can be (and usually is) based on a collection of blood tests and clinical symptoms.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1753 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2065 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2182 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2963 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4695 views