What kind of WLS surgery have you had?

jpcolter
on 2/6/07 3:57 am - San Francisco, CA
I was wondering what kind of WLS surgery other men have gotten. I was over in the VSG forums at first before I became aware that the Men forum existed but I haven't figured out what the most common WLS choice is for most guys. I had the vertical sleeve. JP
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/6/07 4:02 am - Japan
Hi JP, Most on the board are RNY, then Lap Band (and the gap seems to be closing somewhat), followed by DS. Isn't VSG good for those with a family history of stomach cancer? My recollection is that in Korea, more of these are done than the other surgeries due to higher rates of stomach cancer - the rationale being, if you don't leave an additional stomach behind, there is less chance of contracting cancer. Dave
jpcolter
on 2/6/07 5:03 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi Dave - I hadn't heard that. If Koreans do have higher incidence of stomach cancer it would make some sense though. My surgeon mentioned that VSG's have essentially been performed for decades on stomach cancer patients - I think his intent was to point out that people live just fine without most of their stomach. It worked for me. I believe that VSG's have only recently started to be used as a primary WLS rather than as part of another type, the name of which escapes me - maybe it's the RNY? JP
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/6/07 5:17 am - Japan
JP, Japan has a higher rate of stomach cancer as well, probably from consumption of alcohol and pickled foods, so roughly 1/4 of my surgeon's procedures are Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). Who knows, if the remaining stomach or other bypassed equipment in RNY's starts to atrophy, maybe more of us will be getting that equipment removed, turning us into VSG's? Dave
Dx E
on 2/6/07 5:47 am - Northern, MS
Hey JP. The "types of surgery" breakdown for the whole of OH is- Approx. 79% RNY, then 18% Lap-Band (which is growing more popular each day) Followed by 2% DS, and 1% 'Other.' I've seen more VSG's in this last 6 months than all of the last 4 years combined. Oddly, On the Men's Board, the %'s are skewed in make-up to have RNY's in the majority by a much slimmer margin. More like 50% to 60% RNYers' and 25 to 30% Lap-Bands and 15 to 20% DS. There are a few VSG's here as well. Many who are having the DS may be given a VSG first and then make the full "Switch" as a second stage of surgery. This Board has a fuller participation of the various WLS Procedure Post and Pre-Ops. Perhaps it's because not much energy is wasted on playing- "My Dog's Better Than Your Dog..." All of the procedures have the clinical data to show they work. The trick is getting the right procedure for the right person. Nothing quite like a good "Fit." Best Wishes- Dx
kevin moran
on 2/6/07 9:43 am - stockton, CA
JP: Welcome.. I had rny, insurance would not consider VS. It sounded less complicated... less plumbing to rearrange.. But like has been said..... The best surgery is the one you trust.. ( like a golf swing) Great success to you
semperfidad
on 2/7/07 1:46 am - Shelbyville, IL
JP I chose Lap-Band. only due to my personal aversion (Read that Scared Sh*tless) to having my natural body plumbing modified. Semper Fidelis!
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 17 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 50 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 73 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views