Negative calorie foods ??

robo_petz
on 2/7/07 3:21 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
Hey all, Ive heard and known of the "Negative foods", where you eat these foods and its sooo low in calories that it takes more calories to digest and such that in the end your burning more calories than eaten, makin it a negative calorie food. With that said, I just want your thoughts and comments about this. Thnx a bunch, Robert =)
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/7/07 4:46 pm - Japan
Hi Robert, You mean like high-cellulose vegetables like celery and cabbage? Apples, too (in theory). I think they are great to snack on post-op, because they are filling. But at meal time, you'll probably have to save them for last to make sure you get the protein and other nutrients in. Here's one simple page about negative calorie: http://www.webterrace.com/diet/negative.htm Good Luck! Dave
cgatens
on 2/8/07 10:27 pm - Bricktown, NJ
Wow, this was mind opening. I always felt bad eating apples. Question. They talk about these foods being raw. I eat Brocolli and a few others on the list. I steam the brocolli and put a dash of salt, do you still think that this will fall into the negative catagory? Thanks Dave Chris
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/9/07 7:01 am - Japan
Hi Chris, Oh, why not? How much broccoli can a post-op eat, anyway? Should be fine. Dave
Dx E
on 2/7/07 7:55 pm - Northern, MS
Here's the ones I add into my foods or use as snacks- Celery, Cucumbers, Cabbage, Bean Sprouts, Bamboo Shoots, Water Chestnuts, and Zucchini. Cauliflower is very close to needing more calories to digest it than it contains, As are Turnips, yellow Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Broccoli and Red, Yellow and Green Peppers. Obviously, this assumes that nothing with calories is added while preparing like Butter or salad dressings. Some of these added to any foods, add fiber, and cut overall % of Calories. Best Wishes- Dx
Scott William
on 2/7/07 9:23 pm
Dx, I saw an add for a new fiber product whose catch is, "no taste, add it to anything." I immediately thought of you. Talk about being ahead of the curve. Scott
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/8/07 3:19 am - Japan
Hey, you could add it to the no flavor Unjury protein - create a high fiber 40-30-30 gravy or a chocolate sauce! Convert those liquid carbs!
SouthJerseyChris
on 2/7/07 10:09 pm - Brick, NJ
Yes and no. High fiber foods can seem to take more calories to eat and digest then they contain, mainly because of thier high fiber content (your body does not digest fiber). The reality is however, this isn't the case. There is though, a concept called the thermic effect of food. This is the amount of energy it takes to digest what you've eaten. In general, if your BF is 15% or below, you can add 10% to your calorie needs to account for the thermic effect.
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 16 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 45 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 71 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 88 views