Do compression garments help?

slowestone
on 2/7/07 8:59 pm - King George, VA
RNY on 12/13/06 with
I'm now starting to lose the significant amounts of weight that most RNY patients lose and am becoming concerned about excess skin. I'm looking for recounts of experience with using compression garments from men specifically. If you have used them or know directly of someone else's experiences with them, please let me know so I can make an informed decision about getting involved. Thanks for taking the time to answer, Steve
Dx E
on 2/7/07 9:37 pm - Northern, MS
Steve, Congratulations on your loss. I've used them only in relation to Plastic Surgery. They were a big help with swelling and keeping the skin in place As everything settled in to it's new home. There are some Plastic Surgeons and folks *****commend them just during rapid weight loss in order to help with skin "drawing up," But there are others who claim this to be a bunch of snake-oil. I don't know... Did help immensely after Plastic Surgery But may or may not at all just during rapid weight loss. Here's the type I used- http://www.thesurgerystore.com/compression_garment/male_body_shaper_garment.html The same site, (which sells compression garments, so take with grain of salt) References a Dr. Bermant as finding such compression garments as- "... helpful to contour the body without surgery." by stabilizing tissue. http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/a/no-surgery_body_shaping/index.html or- http://www.thesurgerystore.com/compression_garment/body_shaping_men.html He's been a speaker at Obesity Help conventions in the past. And is an authority on Male Plastic Surgery, particularly for - Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction Surgery- http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/chest_dynamic_sculpture.html All I had in my hard drive.... Best Wishes- Dx
wjoegreen
on 2/7/07 11:14 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Steven, I have two friends that are 1 and 2 years out RNY. They have used compression but confess to me it is mostly to simply to keep their appearance better and not having flopping skin around in public. They both tolds me to lift some weights and walk to minimize the loose skin as much as possible which I am doing, though I could do better in my own opinion. I only use compression socks that come up to my knees. They keep my feet and legs from hurting and the socks stay up rather than hanging down around my ankles all day. But if I wear them too long, they make my feet hurt too, so it can go both ways. Now these are not the lame white compression socks I got from the hospital with the hole for your big toe and rip easy. These are the surgical tubing dress socks that are sold at the drug store. I have found them for $11 and $13 and come in dress sock colors. They are usually in the section with the ACE wraps and braces. I think they are Dr Schols but may be a competitive brand. I personnally have not used other compression garments to date but am seeing the batwings and belly flab getting more prominent. I may be needing your advice in the upcoming months. Let me know what your decision and resulting experiences are.
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/07 11:31 pm - Island Heights, NJ
RNY on 01/31/06 with
Steve, I, for one, am a firm believer in the use of compression-style clothing. Sure, I've still got some skin issues, (I guess that would be expected after deflating a 400 lb balloon to less than half that size!) But, it's really not all that awful. The lower belly area has a little wrinkly paunch thing going on... but, it's nothing that I can't live with. As for the arms... almost ZERO bat wing action. I have absolutely no plans for any plastic surgery. I attribute alot of this to my diet, hydration, high level of physical activity, as well as the use of the compression stuff. Since Month 3, I've been wearing long sleeve compression shirts and long compression shorts by Under Armour or Nike while sleeping and while running or working out at the gym. I always buy one size smaller than the sizing charts and everything fits like a second skin. I don't know for sure if there's any conclusive evidence that this actually helps with the skin sag - But, in my case, it seems to be helping. If worn under your everyday clothes, it helps give an overall "slimming" effect. Also, I kinda like the feeling of it, so, what the heck. Hey... Just my 2¢ Be Well, A.J.
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/07 11:35 pm - Houston, TX
Hey Steve...no good news here...before Plastics, I thought I would try a minor compression garment, to keep my thighs from flapping..... they kicked my rashes into HIGH Gear.... the heat that they held was bad for me... Russ
LostInTheNet
on 2/8/07 5:27 am - Metrowest, MA
I use one to keep my gut in place when I run. Doug.
slowestone
on 2/8/07 5:41 am - King George, VA
RNY on 12/13/06 with
Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll do a little more research and used the links provided and then make a decision. But now it will be an INFORMED decision. Thank you all very much!!!
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 16 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 45 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 71 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 88 views