Diabetes Question

Chris M.
on 2/7/07 9:54 pm
Morning Guys, Hope all is well. Yesterday we found out that my wife has Gestational Diabetes. My wife is about 6 ½ months pregnant. At first we were very concerned but after a bit of research we discovered that it is not a big deal as long as she watches her diet. We are in the process of making an appointment with a nutritionist to find out what we should do. To be honest I sometimes have an issue with people who know from study . I quite often prefer hearing from people who know from experience. That is the reason I came to this forum to find out about WLS in the first place. If I remember correctly there where a few people who had diabetes on this forum and wanted to ask a couple of general questions as my wife and I have no experience with diabetes as of yet. We will be meeting with the nutritionist ASAP, but I thought I would ask you guys for some advice. In general, should she avoid carbs as much as possible (a la Atkins) or be consistent with a small amount of carbs? Is it more about complex sugars than carbs? Things I've heard so far (from non-experts and/or people who have never had diabetes) Eat as many eggs as you want, don't eat more than 1 egg a week, jus****ch your carbs, eat 150g of carbs a day every day. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your help and be well, Chris
alwuetrich
on 2/7/07 10:48 pm - Hopkins, MN
My wife had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and the doctors and nurses caused more stress than the diabetes ever could have. None of them could ever tell her what it meant or why it was going to matter other than it might cause a "big baby". One of our children was under 6 lbs and the other was 7 1/2. My experience tells me that if she just takes it a little easier and somewha****ches carb intake she will be just fine. I know this isn't a doctor's advice, but it is what we experienced. Good luck. Al
Chris M.
on 2/7/07 11:00 pm
Thanks Al, That is kind of what my wife and I are thinking (and hoping). To "watch your carbs" for the 2 1/2 months till the baby is born is not a big deal at all. My fear is that they will put her on some super restrictive diet that will be nearly impossible to follow. Thanks again, Chris
DAN PACKARD
on 2/8/07 12:34 am - KOKOMO, IN
Chris I am a Type II Diabetic who experienced great results with controlling my blood sugar after WLS. I would highly recommend that you and your wife check out the information on the American Diabetis Association web site. It is a great resource. Here is the link to the website page that talks about Gestational Diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/gestational-diabetes.jsp Best wishes on the new addition to your family. Will keep you and the Mrs in my prayers. Dan
Chris M.
on 2/8/07 12:50 am
Hi Dan, Thank you for your reply. We will certainly check out the site you gave us (I forwarded it to my wife). Thanks and be well, Chris
Most Active
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 42 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 7 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 42 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 68 views