Plastics

flucca
on 4/22/11 10:23 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
 Hi Guys-

The time has finally come to complete my plastic surgeries and I wanted to ask your opinions?

My choices are a local board certified surgeon who is competent and has done a fair amount of post bariatric work.  He would complete my plastics and two stages.

Stage 1 Arms, Chest (gynecomastia reduction with free nipple grafting?), so the nipples are actually removed and then put back on as grafts.  and lower face/neck lift

Stage 2 Medial/lateral thigh lift, revision of abdominal scar from previous lower body lift, and liposuction of flanks/lower back.

The other choice is to travel to Dr. Rubin at the University of Pittsburgh where they will complete the same procedures above with the exception of the face/neck lift, in one operation.  They would also be preserving the nipples by rotatin them upward and performing a z plasty on my lower back to the flatten it out following the lipo.

Total cost is almost exactly the same either way, $20,000 out of pocket.  Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are welcome.  Am I being unmanly to care about the feeling in my nipples?  just seems like it's gonna feel weird to have no sensation there.  Any of you had these procedures in stages or at once, please let me know.  Thanks

Don 1962
on 4/22/11 11:32 pm

There is a specialized group now for men and plastics:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/male_plastics/discussion/

Looking into it myself and have been to one consult but ain't going to be happening any time soon.  Good Luck!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

jdm511
on 4/22/11 11:38 pm - Ballston spa, NY
If it is important to you, then it is important.  Do not think about manly vs unmanly.  Do both ways of doing the procedure give the same appearance afterward.  If not, which will give you the look closest to what you desire?

Good luck
Jim Parker
on 4/25/11 3:43 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
The plastics work (if any) is a ways out for me, so I haven't really researched it all that much.  But I don't think it's "unmanly" to care about retaining nerves (feelings) in any portion of your anatomy... When (if) my time comes, it will definitely factor into my decision, as would considerations such as the additional time off from work for recovery from two surgeries, versus a single (potentially longer) time off, along with any "approvals" and "temporary disability" policies at the workplace.

My company has a great medical leave policy, and short-term disability policy for anything longer than a couple of weeks.  But everyone who has had to use them say it's a bit of a hassle getting the pay straightened out both "going in" and "coming out" of the temporary disability state...  Being able to dodge it entirely by having a faster recovery would be one potential benefit of the 2-stage approach.  But if you couldn't avoid it completely, I would think it would be far less hassle doing it only once.

Wish I had already done more research so I could help you with thoughts on the "medical" side of the decision...
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 18 views
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 42 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 74 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 87 views