3 Month Followup Today

Charlie S.
on 11/30/11 6:15 am
Today is my 3 month surgiversary.  Exactly 3 months ago today I had my VSG surgery.  1 year ago I weighed 429, 3 months ago I weigned 380, and today I weigh 314!  I can't believe how great things ar going for me.  Dr says I am low on Iron and B1, and gave me pills to take to fix that.  Also said that I am in the low-normal to normal range for my weightloss thus far.  I told him that I was very happy with the progress I was making. 

So, all-in-all, I have to research how the Iron and B1 fits into my vitamin plan.  I think I remember that you can't take Iron with Calcium or something like that.  Got some more self-educating to do.  

Talk to you all later!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

docd
on 11/30/11 6:29 am - AZ

Nice!

Keep up the great work you loser!
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
Jasonm11
on 11/30/11 6:35 am
You're doing great! It feels good to lose that much doesn't it lol....I'm not much furthur out that you and I can tell you it just keeps getting better...I'm up to running about 2 miles at a time, multipl etimes a week and I actually love to run and exercise now. Its weird how your entire outlook changes.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Charlie S.
on 11/30/11 11:14 am
I haven't tackled running yet.  Just been doing some light weights to maintain muscle mass and riding the bike for cardio.  I am sure the running isn't much farther though.  Starting to get burned out on the bike.  Just didn't want to start the running too soon to save some wear and tear on my knees.

Good job!  You are an inspiration!!!!

Jasonm11
on 11/30/11 11:51 am
Thanks!  I started as well on the bike just to get some cardio, then moved into walking with some light jogging.  I didn't pick it up heavy until about 275.  I then started the couch to 5k program through an iPhone app I downloaded for free.  It was what got me up and running and in the shape I am now.  It is smart to avoid the wear and tear on the knees.  I have always had knee pain and soreness but fortunatly nothing carried on once I lost all the weight. 

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Charlie S.
on 11/30/11 7:16 am
Some other interesting stats (at least they are to me...)

Prior to diet and surgery:  BMI = 65.2 which equates to Super Morbid Obesity
Day of surgery:  BMI = 57.7 which equates to Super Morbid Obesity
Three month follow up (today):  BMI = 47.7 which equates to Extremely Obese.

WOO HOOOO!!!!!

Sam LifeNerd
on 11/30/11 10:47 am
 You want to split Iron and Calcium by at least 30 minutes!!  They inhibit the absorbtion of each other!

I tend to take my iron LATE in the day just in case...which reminds me to go take it now actually.

Charlie S.
on 11/30/11 11:18 am
That is what I have been seeing in my research.  I decided to work it like this.  Before today, I would take my vitamin and first calcium before breakfast, then take another calcium with lunch, and the last calcium and vitamin after dinner.

Now, I think I am going to split my Iron into two bottles and take some to work.  I think I will make my iron a mid morning or mid afternoon snack between meals to keep it separated from the calciums by at least an hour or two.  

Good luck and keep losing!!!

Don 1962
on 11/30/11 7:13 pm
Despite little north wind yesterday the stench off your FART drifted up I-45.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

kenhud1
on 11/30/11 9:15 pm - Houston, TX
Great work! It keeps getting better!

As for the calcium and iron, it's my understanding at least for RNY patients, that they should be separated by closer to 2 hours to get maximum benefit from both. Additionally, you will want to make certain that you take vitamin C with the iron to help with absorption. Again, these guidelines may not be accurate for other than RNY. A good resource for vitamin info is the website for the ASMBS (ASMBS.org). There is a comprehensive list of vitamin info on the site with guidelines for all surgery types.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 45 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 11 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 45 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 69 views