Surgery in Mexico ?

Tenacious88
on 12/21/11 7:40 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi to all: After reading about some OH members having surgery in Mexico I have some questions and concerns.

1- How does one have a follow-up visit with the doctor ?

2- What happens if you have a problem with the surgery ?

3- Who pays if you have to go back to Mexico, for re-surgery ?

4- Is it safe to be in Mexico ?

5- Is the hospital fully equipped to handle any emergency you may have ?

All of these questions and concerns, all OH members should think about before going to Mexico for surgery.

I'm a newbie to OH, that's why I bring up these questions, I want to be fully informed about everything that happens in the WLS world. I have not had WLS yet, still waiting for approval from my ins.co.

Hope to hear from you.

Tenacious 88 (FL)

docd
on 12/22/11 12:04 am - AZ
I might see doing dental work or maybe even a nose job in Mexico, but not major  abdominal surgery.
It will probably turn out OK.

PROBABLY.

But if there are issues, you are on your own, unless they want to help you.
You have very few rights legally in that situation.
So they don't have malpractice insurance (or insurers breathing down their neck to do things right and keep up with the current medical knowledge) and they "pass the savings on to you"!

This will be one of those topics where everyone sees it black  or white. You will have a lot of people tell you they did great down there. I have some patients that did real well.
But you have to live with the worst case scenario and say "What if?"

I'm a cash pay and looked at it. I couldn't get past the fact that it's Mexico. Basically a third world country, with very little respect for human rights or anything Gringo after you have given them your money.

Now if you are of Mexican heritage................
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
cabin111
on 12/22/11 1:44 am
My 2 cents...Over the years I have seen many self pay go down to Mexico for their WLS.  A few thing you need to remember.  Like Doc said if you have complications you are on your own.  There are not many WLS surgeons who want to touch procedures from other surgeons...Much less ones from Mexico.  If you go with the Lap Band I would say stay in the US.  It is hard to find doctors that will do the fills here unless they have also done the initial procedure.  It makes sense...They don't want to carry all the liability with none of the benefits of receiving the money for the initial procedure.
But, (strong but) if you are looking for the other procedures (VSG, RNY, DS) you may want to consider the WLS clinic in Tijuana...Yeah, I know Tijuana.  I'm just saying over the years I have seen many many happy patients come out of that clinic.  Don't discount it because of the city...It's a nice clinic.  Also you what a surgeon who has a sturdy hand and one who has done the procedure almost daily...Second nature.
I was self pay...Could have gone anywhere in the world for my RNY.  I stayed close because I trusted the surgeon, I had a heart condition and the hospital had a cardiac center.  If there was complications the surgeon or his PA could spot it quickly (things like dehydration, leaks, or a stricture).  Eyes wide open...But it can be done.  Brian
Tenacious88
on 12/22/11 6:58 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: The bottom line to all the talk about WLS in Mexico, is Money. As always we need to follow the money trail. I'm not a rich man, so I can understand why people seek out surgery in Mexico. It's sad to read about people *****ally need surgery because of medical issues, but the insurance companies in the US will not approve their claims. Surgery for these friends, is not like getting cosmetic surgery to make one look better, this surgery is about life and dead for some of these patients. I thank you for sharing.

88 FL

cabin111
on 12/22/11 7:27 am
I had 2 different health insurance policies...Neither covered WLS.  I had to do it because I was dying...Not just bad health...DYING!!  It saved my life.
Tenacious88
on 12/22/11 12:28 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: cabin111
                    Glad that you are still with us and doing well. Above ground is always better. Stay healthy. Merry Christmas.
88 FL
jdm511
on 12/23/11 10:47 pm - Ballston spa, NY
As Brian noted, many surgeons do not want to see patients that were not operated on by them.  This includes fills, revisions, followup care etc.  What so many people forget is that the follow up care is just as important as the initial surgery.  It is important to remember that those of us who have had WLS, can be just as sick as we were when we were morbidly obese, if we don't keep an eye on our blood work.

Tenacious88
on 12/24/11 4:38 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: jdm511. 
                 Exactly
, what I was saying it's not just the surgery it's all the follow-up work that needs to follow. No surgeon, technician, plumber, mechanic or computer repair person wants to take responsibility for someone else's screw-ups. I know it has to do with saving money or for those that are self-pay, but is it worth your life. I prefer to be fat an alive than to be skinny and dead.
88 FL
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 18 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 50 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 74 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In