Endomondo

Charlie S.
on 4/8/12 4:49 am
I have borrowed a mountain bike from a guy at work, and have been riding it more and more lately.  I have been shopping for the right bike for me, but haven't found the right one yet.  Luckily, he has two bikes and is in no real hurry to get this one back.

So, yesterday I came across an app for my phone called Endomondo.  It's quite handy.  It tracks your bike ride (or run, walk, etc) calculates your calories burned, etc.  I think the coolest part is if you enable GPS on your phone, it tracks your route and then gives you a map when you finish.  (And it will post to Facebook for you as well.  I am going to try to put the link from my ride a little bit ago below and see if it works...  here goes nothing:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/47235208

Someone let me know if that link works...

Anyway, don't know if any of you folks are using something like this, but I like it alot and thought I would share in case any of you are looking for something like it.

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Daniel-L
on 4/8/12 7:01 am - OR
RNY on 01/26/12
It works great Charlie.  Now if it would just give us a video of the ride as well.

d

cabin111
on 4/8/12 10:44 am
I still use my old Tom Tom.  My phone is dying (Virgin Mobile)...Too cheap to buy a smart phone...Will go back with my pre paid phone...Someday...Watching my pennies!!  I will tell you that a bicycle is very addicting post op.  It is now my favorite form of exercise....Tons of fun!!  Enjoy the ride.  Brian  PS  Check out the Exercise and Fitness Forum...Alot of bikers there.

kenhud1
on 4/8/12 10:47 am - Houston, TX
Looks like a good app. Think I will download it. Thanks for the tip.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Paul C.
on 4/9/12 1:51 am - Cumming, GA
 As for what is thr right bike there are a number things you want to consider.

1) What type of riding do you want to do?

Bikes typically fall into 1 of 4 main categories
1) Road - These are the high performance speed demons you can get them priced anywhere from affordable to UBER expensive
2) Montain Bike - Self explanitory
3) Hybrid - These are more of a Mountain bike frame with narrower wheels that will allow you to go faster on pavement while still holding up to the off road stuff.
4) Cyclocross - Almost same as hybrid but the opposite design.  More road bike looking but able to handle off road.

You then can get into the specialized type bikes such a TT bikes.

Deciding what type of riding you are going to do is key.  If you are never going to ride trails but plan on chalking up miles with a local cycle club or training for a century ride then you will get pretty uncomfortable on a mountain bike.  However; if you only want to ride trails and not take on some of the asphalt challenges then a road bike won't take you very far.

Once you decide on this then you really need to research the brands, some brands are low and long (designed for people with longer torso and shorter legs, or tall and short designed for long legged people.  Knowing this is critical for getting a bike that will have a good fit, if you are going to be in the saddle for any length of time you want one that will be comfortable.

Once you know the frame style you need it is just basically choosing the components from that point. I'm not going to be a snab and say you have to get top of the line to save money in the long run but get something you can afford and don't cheap out.

Buy from a local bike shop and not a place like Dick's or REI.  Bike shops obviously have the expertise to help you make the best choice and will typically give you bike fitting for free, sounds stupid but a bike fitted for you makes the world of difference. Most bike shops also will do free cable adjustments and can help you with all the other things you will want to consider when buying a bike.

Things like:
Cycle clothes (there is a reason we wear tight clothes when riding)
Clipless shoes & Pedals (Bike shop can lead you to the best ones for your goals)
Repair Kit
Pump (My tires and most road bikes, require a speacial pump for the high pressure tires mine run at 120psi)
Saddle bag with tube tools and CO2 kit
Helmet.

to name just a few.

I will fore warn you that more than a few people have gotten a bike just to ride for exercise and really took a liking to it and now rack up some serious miles and have gone from cheap to very nice.

I was able to make the investment to get a good bike the first time out. Since I am only intrested in in riding in Tris I bought a Tri bike with all the goodies and an indoor trainer.

If you have any questions just ask If I don't know I can point you to people that do.

As for the tracker I use a Garmin GPS designed for multisport.

which provides the following types of readout for cycling and running
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/155047563 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Charlie S.
on 4/9/12 11:27 am
Thanks for the info.  Luckily I have a few friends and coworkers to get advice from.  I work for a police department (I am a civilian though) and talk with our Bike Squad guys quite a bit.  They all use Specialized Mountain bikes.  In addition, I have some good friends who ride road bikes and have been chatting with them as well.  My best friend just bought a $4,000 Cervello that he got when he traded in his tri-bike (I don't know the brand).  He is getting ready to ride in the MS150 in two weeks here, from Houston to Austin. 

They all recommend the same bike shop, so I am thinking that is where I will buy.  I am just taking my time deciding which type to buy.  Currently, I am really enjoying the mountain bike and riding on the hike and bike trails near my house.  However, since I have the loaner bike for a while, I am not rushing into it.  We'll see...

Again, thanks for the info.  I am going to send you a friend req on here so I can track you down easier when I get ready to buy in case I have any questions.

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 45 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 17 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 45 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 69 views