working out???

glenncerise
on 12/2/13 8:27 am

Hey fellas , I am at day 10 and I feel great. I am down 31 lbs, I am wondering what exercises should I do. Can I get on my eliptical, I know I cant do anyh heavy lifting for another 3 weeks but I at least want to do some cardio...let me know ya thoughts.

God bless

Mike T

Don 1962
on 12/2/13 9:28 am

Congrats on the 31 pounds! angry Start with walking.  I started with walking the fifty feet of my front porch. 5, 10, 15 times.  Graduated up to walking the "flat" 1/2 of my driveway.  I live 100 yards plus off the highway.  Again 5, 10, 15 times and finally doing the length of the driveway.  You get the idea.  Five plus years later still walk three miles at a time on the treadmill.  Weather permitting will do the outside thing. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

cabin111
on 12/2/13 10:22 am

If you want to spend the money...Exercise bands.  You can go on Youtube and see how people use them.  But in a few weeks you can do the more heavy lifting, so it may be a waste of time and money.  Also basic movements...Doing more toning than muscle building works good for the first month or two.  Don't over do it...Listen to your body.  Remember it takes energy to get dressed, go to the bathroom, even going to the fridge.  Some days you may end up trying to grab for energy and it just won't be there.  Before you could grab a Snickers Bar...Not now.  Many times a nap may be better than exercise...Yeah, I know it sound strange, but great healing comes during sleep.  The energy is going into the weight loss.  The energy level will come back, but with the rapid weight loss don't freak out if it goes away for a few months.  Brian

cabin111
on 12/2/13 11:16 am

A couple more thoughts.  Ditto what Don said about walking.  I would make a path around the house and walk my path...Put on some moving music and just move.  I had my surgery in Oct, so it was winter outside.  One thing you may find out is that with all that weight loss could come some loss of muscle mass.  When you are released for heavy workouts, don't be surprised if you can't lift like you use to.  It will come back with great effort.  You did this surgery for your health.  Just don't be upset if you lose a bit of muscle mass.  It's not just the fat you're losing.  If the body is done burning up the energy in the intestine, it looks to the fat.  If it can't use up the fat quick enough, it will have to look to muscle for it's energy...In general.  I know it's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.  Brian

billmacc7
on 12/2/13 11:44 am - MA

Hi Mike...1st, I would check w/ my surgeon and hospital to see their suggestions. For me, it began with walking like noted above. Try to do as much as you can tolerate for a week or so, then increase in distance and exertion. Still, doing ANYTHING is important as it will def help w/ the weight loss!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

glenncerise
on 12/2/13 11:52 am
Thanks guys!
Andrew L.
on 12/3/13 1:47 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12

Take it slow and start with walking as stated above.  I started feeling great early on after surgery and tried to push my exercise a little, that was a mistake and it put me back almost a month on healing up.  TAKE YOUR TIME AND HEAL UP FIRST...then hit it like a mad man. :)

ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

jefferytmc
on 12/5/13 3:08 am

Walking is a great way to keep your core strong and keep your legs strong.

Muscle mass will definitely be lost.  I did a dunk test at this weight a few years ago and I was at 233 lbs of lean body mass.  Anytime you lose a lot of weight, that muscle mass will go down (you are not carrying as much weight for one thing).

As advised don't pu**** too hard, but move and improve those lungs and your heart.

Walking is your friend.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

fargosrm
on 12/7/13 11:48 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 06/13/13

I'm with Jeff and Andrew on this walk as much as you can at first. I didn't start attempting any weights or jogging till about 4 months out. If you have access to a treadmill and walking doesn't seem hard enough try bumping up the incline setting it at a 3.5 or a 5 % incline will leave you drenched in sweat.

Thanks

Shane

"A wilderness explorer is a friend to all, be a plant or fish or tiny mole!"

jdr1000
on 12/15/13 9:12 pm, edited 12/15/13 9:12 pm

I am three weeks out and I started walking 15 minutes on the treadmill the second week. Third week I am on 30 minute Treadmill walk M-W-F with arm, chest and shoulder exercises with just 2.5 lbs on each hand for the other 20 minutes. And 45 Min Treadmill walk on T and Th. Highest pace on Treadmill is 5K per hour.

No problems so far. Keeping hydrated. 2 liters of water per day plus protein and Lunch, Dinner and two snack mid morning and mid afternoon. Down 35. Started at 295.

Consulted with doctor before starting each week.

Best of luck to all.

J

Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views