What anti-depressant are you on that doesn't tear up your tummy?

kbowman2
on 3/21/11 10:15 am
Hi,
I am on the generic Effexor, Venalafaxine.  It is not the time released version and it is TEARING MY INSIDES UP.  I finally decided to stop taking it because I cannot deal with the stomach side effects any longer.  I tried eating before then taking it.  Eating after then taking it...nothing works.
Any suggestions for an anti-depressant that does not tear up your tummy???

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

Patricia R.
on 3/22/11 10:16 am - Perry, MI
I hope you went off the Effexor under a doctor's supervision.  I also hope you are seeing a psychiatrist for the psych meds.  Psychiatrists know the meds and their side effects better.

I am on Cymbalta, and it does nothing to my gut.  Nor did Lexapro.

Good luck.
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

sarytyr
on 3/23/11 1:41 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
No tummy problems with Lexapro here...

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

kbowman2
on 3/24/11 5:36 am
I was on lexapro a few years before surgery, I think I'll try that again.  No (shameful look) I didn't call my doc and tell her.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  I'm planning a visit next week to see her and ask for my lexapro back.
Thanks for the advice both of you and the kiddies in the Eagles shirts are ADORABLE!  I live in Wilmington, DE and it's GREEN country here too!  Not a big football fan but my partner is.  Her phone ring in the heat of the season is "fly eagles fly, on the road to victory...fly eagles fly, with a touchdown 1.2.3......"  you get the picture.  LOL  E A G L E S EAGLES!  LOL

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

Phyllis M.
on 3/26/11 3:42 pm - Irving, TX
I was on Lexapro for many years.......I loved it - had no side effects and really did the trick.

I recently (dec) went off of it to alleviate some co-pay  drama -  increasing on 90 days supply and am currently trying to find something that will work and NOT cause weight gain.

I went off of Lexapro an low and behold -   droppped 20 lbs in about 1 month -  I worked hard a it too somewhat but its like the barrier broke and I"m able to lose weight again..

All of this said  just to let you know to watch - it may cause you to gain some weight.    As your doc about those possibilities before just switching to Lexapro -

I may go back to it as I'm NOT dealing with things right now very well - been on new meds for 30 days now...doing a little better now but just not where i felt like I loved everything everyone and just about anything could cross my path and I was okay with life...............NOW......YOU ASK - DON'T GET IN MY WAY !!  LOL      My anxiety level sucks !!   HELP !
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Patricia R.
on 3/26/11 6:30 pm - Perry, MI

Glad you appreciate the Eagles shirts.  My grandchildren, on the picture, live in Michigan, and must learn the Eagle fight song soon.  I had all my students learning it, and discussed the games every Monday. 

My niece went to college in Dover, and lived there for a few years after graduation.  She loved it down there.  She got her undergrad at Wesley College.  Don't know if you ever heard of it.

Did not mean to shame you about going off the meds without doctor supervision.  It is just so dangerous to go off psych meds without a doctor's guidance, that's all.  It is for your safety that I say that.  I used to work in a psychiatric hospital part time, and I have been silly enough to taper off one of my meds without the doc's guidance, and it was not pretty.

If you are concerned about weight gain, discuss that with the doc.  Some antidepressants cause it more than others.  The doc would know which ones are more likely to cause it.

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

severman
on 4/1/11 1:38 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I've had the best luck with Lexapro and Abilify.  Hope this helps.

Stephanie E
theresad33
on 5/3/11 1:02 pm
 hi there, I have been on and off meds for years, the one that has worked the best for me is citalopram (celexa) It worked for me both before and after surgery, lexapro is escitalopram they're "cousins" so to speak.  Here is a link to a study showing the dissoultion of various medications.  http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/46/3/250#T1

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 721 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 705 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 928 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1635 views