Alcoholism

VannyShrager
on 3/23/11 11:45 pm - Bethel Park, PA
Wondering how many of you have found any issues with drinking since weight loss surgery!?
Patricia R.
on 3/24/11 11:25 am - Perry, MI
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/

I was an alcoholic in recovery, prior to my surgery, but relapsed and struggled for two years with that relapse.

There are many who transfer addictions, and alcohol is convenient.

If you have a problem with alcohol, check out the AA website at www.aa.org  attend some AA meetings and start your recovery.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

VannyShrager
on 3/24/11 7:35 pm - Bethel Park, PA
Trish-

Thanks for the response. Today is day 56 for me.
V
Patricia R.
on 3/24/11 11:02 pm - Perry, MI
Congratulations!!!!!  That is awesome.  I hope you are attending AA meetings and get a sponsor who can guide you through the program.  That is what is working for me.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

flyersgal
on 4/4/11 1:35 pm - NJ
 My grandmother had roux en Y in the 70s.  Prior to the surgery she was a social drinker, but after the surgery she became a full blown alcoholic.  I think she probably found that she got drunk really quickly and maybe didn't understand how or why - keep in mind that back then there weren't psych evaluations, support groups, message boards, etc.  You just had the surgery and went home.  

She never got sober and died from complications of alcoholism.  That said, she managed to live a long life (86). And interestingly enough, she restricted her calories so much the last few years of her life that I believe she was actually exhibiting anorexia.  Of course, doctors aren't really looking for signs of anorexia in an 80 year old woman, nor are they looking for signs of alcoholism.  She could have lived much longer.  
VannyShrager
on 4/4/11 9:21 pm - Bethel Park, PA
That is a powerful story, thank you for sharing it!
whdiamond
on 4/13/11 1:23 pm - Troy, NY
I had my surgery in 2002 and never thought i would become an addict.  It started with alcohol and moved on to cocaine, pills....     I'm a nurse and never had a problem with addiction but the key words are EXCEPT AN ADDICTION TO FOOD.  Its been a hard road but i have 18months tomorrow.  Also check out Narcotics Anonyous, look it up in google. Runs on the 12 steps just like AA, only they dont just deal with alcohol, but any mind altering substance.  I use both AA & NA.
Lisanelson_2
on 4/13/11 3:09 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
 Many Many people have struggle with drinking after this surgery.  Some estimates are 30% or higher. My husband never drank before this surgery except socially and then after this surgery he became and full fledge alcoholic.  My co-worker got the surgery after I did and then he had a problem with drinking as well.  My blog is at www.itsnotaddictiontransfer.wordpress.com

If you are having trouble I can tell you what has helped me.  My email is [email protected].   I take a lot of vitamins to compensate for bypassing the duodenum and jejunum.   If you want to read some heart breaking, yet eye opening stories from fellow gastric bypass patients go to http://calorielab.com/news/2006/07/18/bariatric-surgery-trad es-obesity-for-alcoholism/.   I hope you are doing well.   How much weight have you lost?   When did you have your surgery?
marco G.
on 4/15/11 3:36 pm - austin, tx
Hi,

Well I used to drink once in a while too, now I find myself drinking every day, started with the gym once a day, then twice a day, then three times a day on weekends.. now well, yeah its wine.. never saw this coming
Patricia R.
on 4/19/11 1:43 pm - Perry, MI
I forgot to post the link to the Crossing to Transfer Addictions page on OH.  There are a few posters there that are faithful to it, and might be able to help you as well.

I hope you are checking out AA, and seeking medical help for your drinking.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views