Zonegren for Bi polar.

Michellem8991
on 4/26/11 10:49 am - CT
I need to know if anyone has had experience with this med. I have been on Lithium, lexapro and lamictal and klonapin. Worked for a while till the Lithium started with side effects. Poor coordination, constipation, hair loss and thyroid issues. Any help would be appreciated. I can feel I'm going into a manic phase and it wont be good if that happens.

sylvan
on 4/27/11 8:32 am
I've never taken Zonegran and I've taken most all the mood stabilizers.  And in all honesty, I don't know anyone on Zonegran and I know a *bunch* of BP folks.  Have you tried Depakote?  That one works for a lot of people.  Or Trileptal?  Or Tegretol?   
Michellem8991
on 4/28/11 12:42 am - CT
no I haven't I'm scared of the side effects of those. I need to do something because this is not working the way it is. Thanks so much Michelle

sylvan
on 4/28/11 5:39 am
What about Abilify or Geodon?  Those are supposed to be fairly weight neutral.
Patricia R.
on 4/28/11 11:53 am - Perry, MI
I am on Geodon, and don't experience any side effects of note.  I had been on Risperdal, and hated the sedation it caused.  I could not get out of bed in the morning if I took the right dose.  If I cut back, I would go manic.

I had been on Lexapro while taking the Risperdal, but switched it to something else.  Now, I am on Cymbalta. 

I had been on Abilify for a while, instead of the Risperdal, but that was not strong enough for me. 

Good luck.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 1:38 pm
 A really good site you might want to visit is www.askapatient.com.  

Just put the name of the med in there and it will give you user reviews of that med.

It helps me a lot since I am also on the medication merry-go-round!

Another good site is rxlist.com.

My friend was on Zonegran (sp?) for schizophrenia and she tolerated it well, although it did make her gain weight and had the added side effect of apathy, lack of motivation, etc.
ChristineJo
on 6/22/11 2:26 am - NY
 I was on Zonegren for mood stabilization but had an allergic reaction to it because it contains Sulfa , so if you are allergic to sulfa at all don't try it. I take Abilify now and have no side effects.
Michellem8991
on 6/22/11 3:08 am - CT
Thank you for the info

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety