Sick of Trazodone and 'sleep eating'

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/11 9:06 am
I have BPII and take Trazodone at night to help me sleep.  I absolutely cannot sleep without it or another sleep medication.  If I don't sleep, I become unstable.

The problem is, I eat like a horse at night, half awake.  I will eat anything with carbs in it.  During the day I am a stellar dieter and also basically bulimic (with a crappy band, but that's another story).  I wake up in the morning with food all over me and don't remember, or remember vaguely, eating at night.

Anybody out there taken a med for sleep that didn't cause this side effect?  It's horrible on me. I am almost at 300 lbs and I am desperate.

I am thinking I might try Restoril or another benzo, but I do develop tolerances to benzos quickly, so I might switch it around with another sleep med like Zoplicone.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Michellem8991
on 5/4/11 9:15 am - CT
My pcp gave me clonadine and klonapin at night. The clonadine is a bp med that helps with my nightmares and the klonapin takes away the anxiety. Both together work pretty good. When I start to rev up there is not to much that can help. I know what you mean about the trazadone though it sucks. I was also on hydroxazine I think. It was kinda like an antihistamin I think and it worked well too. I hope that helps.  

good luck

Michelle

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 10:54 am
 Thanks Michelle! :)
sylvan
on 5/4/11 11:29 am
Try the Restoril.  It didn't make me sleep eat/walk.  I did on Lunesta and Ambien.  It was terrible.  Not just the eating but the other things I'd do, like take everything off of the hangers in the closet and throw it in a pile on the floor. 

For me, Restoril is different than other benzos.  It seems to build up in my system.  By about the third or fourth day of taking it, it takes a lot to wake me up. 

Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 1:36 pm
 Thanks...I will bring this up with my physician tomorrow.  :)
Caidkin
on 5/14/12 3:11 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
 Omg I cannot believe what I am reading! I thought I was the only one!  I take ambien a couple times a week
And I eat like a horse on it too!  My husband thinks I'm crazy!  Wow!  Well I guess I'm in the same boat as you.  
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 720 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 704 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 926 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1634 views