The thought of eating makes me physically ill.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/12 3:41 am - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Hello Everyone,

This is my 1st time posting on this forum for mental health. My name is Susie and I had RNY done on 4/25/12.

The funny thing is, I work in the mental health field and I do have what I call a "Life Coach" a.k.a. therapist. 

So, here is my short version of my issue...I know that I need to go and see my therapist but, I am embarrassed to make an appointment! Of course I only visit her when I am having a crisis, that is what I pay her for...right? So, why am I so nervous about making the call? The answer is because I have been so good with reaching my goals and we had discussed me having the RNY and all of the changes that I would have to make and now I am having difficulties following through.

Whenever I smell food, see food or hear people talking about food, I get physically ill! I know this sounds crazy because food used to be my very best friend! When I try to eat anything, even yogurt...I feel as though it is strangling me and my throat feels like there is a blockage and I honestly get a massive fast headache...like I am losing oxegen.

I went to my surgeon's office last Friday and he did check me out to see if I had a stricture, which I do not have. He then told me that there is nothing physically going on that should prevent me from trying new foods and actually not getting physically sick. He believes that I have some sort of "wierd" mental aversion to food. REALLY!!! I already knew that.

Has anyone else experienced this after surgery? Please do not suggest protein drinks or powders, the thought of them make me gag. Somebody else suggested that I take 1/2 of a xanax (for anxiety) a 1/2 hour prior to eating, to relax myself and possibly take the anxiety away. I may try this later today, seeing as how I only have had 2 ounces of 0% Fage yogurt and a 6 once cup of coffee.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, besides contacting my Therapist (because I am going to make the appointment) please forward them to me.

BTW, I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Severe Depression since 1995.

Thank you.
boxermom
on 6/10/12 12:10 am - MI
sorry susie for taking so long to reply as i was inpatient for a manic episode.  i think you should first talk to your psychiatrist about this and make sure its not chemical.  once he changes or adjusts your meds then go forward with the cognative behavorial changes.  i think you're right, you are probably right about your adversion to food, obviously you need to find out why.

but, lets see what the psych says.  you know as well as i do, chemically, we dont absorb our meds like others and constant changes need to be made to our meds.

boxermom
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety