Depression

its-killen-me
on 11/8/12 8:58 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I have been diagnosed with having a major depressive episode.  This has been over 2 years now.  It is called an episode so I assume it has an end.  How long can these episodes last? 

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
swoozieq67
on 11/11/12 11:39 pm - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

I have recurring major depressive disorder that has been ongoing for well over 20 years. I have tried to commit suicide twice and have been in treatment with therapy and psychiatrists over the years.

I have just recently started seeing a new psychiatrist and I was told that I will need to take medications for the rest of my life because it is genetic and my brain is not balanced chemically.

I have been taking Lexapro 40 mg twice a day which is twice what is recommended per day. My psych doctor has asked me to take only 1 Lexapro 40 mg and a Cymbalta 60 mg for the next week and then the following week I will take 2 Cymbalta 60 mg per day. Hopefully this will help me out.

I had RNY on April 25 2012. I feel that on MOST days that I just cannot get it together which makes me feel guilty which of course, makes me feel worse!

As for how long an "episode" lasts, I do not really have an answer for that. I have been in a really bad funk for about 2 months already and I do not feel as though I am getting any better.

Susie

its-killen-me
on 11/14/12 1:59 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

Hi Suzie, thanks for replying.  I have been taking venlafaxine 300mgs for a long time now.  I was taking that plus citalipram 50 mgs also for about a year.  The venlafaxine helps some but not enough to make me function as I should.  I just don't have the energy to even shower some days.  I don't cook for myself, and put off cleaning and washing clothes as long as possible.  I have at times hired a cleaner to come and help out.  I have been off work for over 2 years and the thought of going back totally terrifies me, I know I would not last a week, I would be sleeping in and be unable to function.  I would get fired.  I also have sleep apnea and am waiting to get into the sleep evaluation clinic so they can re-set the power of my cpap machine.  The machine helps with energy a little but not enough.  Have you found that you are happier after you had your surgery.  I expected the surgery to make enough of a difference on my life that this depression would lift.   It is still here.  

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
swoozieq67
on 11/15/12 8:23 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

I can honestly say that I did not inherit the "I am so happy now that I am losing weight" symptom of RNY. lol

I seriously feel just like you have described...I feel as though I cannot function. I am sitting here in bed wearing the same thing for going on the 3rd day! I should take a shower and know that I will most likely feel better afterwards...but the thought of doing it simply put, exhausts me!

I am 7 months post op and yes I am having some serious regrets and wondering how in the hell I was able to pass the Psych evaluation to get the surgery in the first place!

poisonring9
on 4/18/13 3:48 pm

Wow I just had the surgery a month ago and Ive already been regretting it.  Im sorry youre having these problems, but Im relieved to know Im not alone.  Ive had depression for about 20 years and Im only 30, and Im on a bunch of meds, but they arent absorbing well right now.  What do you do when you just dont feel like drinking the protein or exercising? 

its-killen-me
on 11/29/12 2:14 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I am not sorry I had my surgery, and I am glad it is working.  I just thought I would be more excited and happy about the weight loss.  I actually don't care much about what I look like, I don't care much about anything.  Nothing excites me anymore.  If I won a lottery I think I would have to sleep for a week.  Maybe I could pay someone to shower for me. Barb

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 12/11/12 4:12 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Maybe I could pay someone to shower for me. 

LOL!

I totally hear you.

I got mad, anxious, and depressed when my weight loss screeched to a halt at four months out. It's not really working, and now I'm too effed up to stick to my eating plan. I'm on citalopram, 40 mg/day. It does help with depression, but now I need something for anxiety. And mental hunger. God, I wish I could start smoking again. But I'd probably eat the cigarettes.

According to a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry, major depressive episodes lasted from 3 to 21 months. About half of the subjects recovered in three to six months.

We're not alone!

its-killen-me
on 12/11/12 12:57 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I have been on Venlafaxine for over 2 years now and was on Citalapram for about a year during that time.   This depression is now 26 months.  I do feel I had a nervous breakdown or as my councellor calls it a severe stress injury in the early stages of my depression, at that time I was crying as soon as I woke up in the morning.  That has slowed down with the help of medication, but most all other symptoms of depression are still present.  I am starting to think I may never get better, any stressful situation takes me 3 or 4 days to recover from.  I wondered if there were other folks like me that didn't even have the energy to shower.  I hate not being clean and having my house messy.  I will see if my psyciatrist thinks another medication might help.  Barb

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 12/12/12 4:35 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

I've had that scraped out, total lack of will and energy situation. It is pretty sucky. Mine has thus far--knock wood--subsided after a while, and being physically lighter enables me to do some chores like bathing and picking up the house. Being dirty makes my depression worse, as it probably does to you, but it feels as if it takes superhuman effort to clean anything, right?

Your depression has gone on for longer than average. Keep working at it. A good therapist and a psychiatrist plus maybe a support group or group therapy will help. Sometimes taking baby steps is a good approach. Don't expect yourself to perform miracles overnight. Miracles do happen, but they can take time. I'm glad your sadness and crying symptoms have gotten better, at least!

J. t
on 12/28/12 6:44 am - Canada

"episodes" come and go. mental illness can last a lifetime - i'm going on 30 years living with it! it sounds to me like you're having suboptimal treatment. are you in selkirk MB? if so, i suggest going with the community mental health program rather than through a family doctor, if you're not already. i had good luck with venlafaxine but didn't like the sexual side effects so i switched to a non-ssri, which was disastrous, and am now on citalopram. i found the venlafaxine was better. perhaps you can ask about adjunct medications and alternative therapies - bright light therapy if your episodes worsen during the winter, for example. exercise helps too (but with all the excess weight that can really be challenging).

i'm happy to talk about this more if you want to bounce ideas off each other. my depression can get very severe, but i'm hanging in there.

again, i'm not sure if you're in selkirk MB but if so there are a number of good books at the library, including Mind Over Mood which is more cognitive-behavioural.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views