WLS For Depression?

Joely L.
on 7/2/13 5:08 pm - Fort Atkinson, WI
I decided to take a different approach with my Insurance. The exclusion says it will not cover surgery for obesity. So... Because I am clinically depressed w/ anxiety, I am going file a claim and use depression/anxiety as the main reason. I have a letter from my Dr supporting the claim. (Because I'm so large, 54 BMI and my terrible childhood, I am a depressant with anxiety and PTSD) Has anyone ever tried this approach? Anything is worth a try!

Thanks.
goddessgrrl
on 7/26/13 2:38 pm - VA

I think that makes sense. My insurance covered my WLS (open RNY) because I had a BMI of over 35 with at least one co-morbidity (in my case, insulin-dependent diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, & clinical depression with anxiety & PTSD).

I had to have a psychological evaluation & see a counselor 3 times before my surgery. I was denied twice & then suddenly approved, after about 14 months of trying.

I didn't get approved on the strength of mental health alone, but I think anything that's true that you share with your physician & insurance company can only help you.

In my case, I worked steadily to get approved. I didn't "fight." I made a deal with myself early on that I would go with the flow of the process. It wasn't all polka-dots & moonbeams, but I did use a LOT of cognitive behavioral therapy (which, in itself, takes a lot of time & energy) to choose to remain calm & use my talents (research, writing, & communication in general) to get approved.

I'm still evolving into a healthier person mentally. I attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings because I still deal with wanting to turn to food as a numbing agent.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 721 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 705 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 927 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1635 views