Meds and Metabolism

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:25 pm

I'm 44 yrs old and have been on disability since 2000 for my depression (and debated bipolar II).  I have run the gammut of meds - to the point where the font almost requires a magnifier so I can keep it to one page.  My therapist has spoken about how the meds slow down my metabolism, making weight loss slower than for those who are not on psych meds.  Have any of you found this to be true?  Also have you found a change in your mood from the start (pre-op liquids) to wherever you are now?  Have you been able to lower doses of meds, or maybe even stop taking them altogether?

Thanks!

Since I can't seem to create a ticker, I'll say:

HW 326; CW 285; GW ?; VGS 4/26/16

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/13/16 7:09 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm 4 weeks out and have stopped my BP meds.  I also have stopped needing to take my Ambien as well. I do still take a Xanax at night to relax my thoughts and I do still take another anxiety drug.  I'm really not certain I'll ever stop needing those because of weightless because my anxiety has nothing to do with it.  However I did use being very tired after WLS as a way to free myself from the 6 years on Ambien!  I am very grateful to just lay down like a normal person and sleep.  My BP meds both Cozar and a water pill have been unnecessary due to weight loss and or other reasons.  I did resume my water pill as I started holding fluids like I was a camel.  That was a personal choice.

As far as mood and pre-op just do a search and you will see a lot of post about anger and mood issues.  It's mostly due to carb crashing.  On day two I had a migraine that toped my personal charts.  I staid home from work with the covers over my head hurting.  I do think that was brought on by lack of carbs.  Our bodies love sugar and want it, they are willing to do whatever is needed to get them.  So the pre-op sucks but really once your on day 4 you won't care cause your issues will stop.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:30 am

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry I'm just seeing this now.  I had some troubles with this site and took a break.  Anyway, one of the things I learned is that the surgery messes with estrogen making moodiness something almost unavoidable.

My first attempt at surgery on 4/26 nearly killed me.  Because I had lost significant weight prior to surgery, when the put me under, my blood pressure plummeted and after 40 minutes they were unable to get it back up.  I worked with my PCP to go off one BP med immediately after that attempt.  I did have the surgery on 5/24 and didn't require any BP meds while in the hospital and still don't take any.  I was borderline diabetic and now my A1c is smack dab in the middle of normal.

I totally agree with the carb and sugar crashing.  Our bodies get so used to having these day after day and it's like detoxing.

So, I'll be 5 months tomorrow and am down over 50 lbs since surgery.  It's slow, but given the medications I'm on (which are known to aid in "holding" weight and slowing metabolism), my surgeon is still pleased; I am still losing and that's what really counts.  I admit it's hard to hear that people have lost in one month what it's taken me 5 months to lose (even when we started off right about the same).  It's our own personal journey and we shouldn't compare, right?  Easier said than done, but it's a fact!

mynameisprl321
on 6/28/16 9:57 pm

Try yoga, that will help you to deviate you mind and will also make it healthy. all the best.

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:30 am

Thank you for your suggestion.  I'm sorry I'm just reading this now, but I haven't been on this site in about 6 months.  I hope you're doing well.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/16 7:59 pm

I'M  really  not sure about any of this but I'm reaching out as a potential friend .... (((()))   sometimes we just need need support and sincere friendship .  hugs

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:31 am

Thank you!  I am so sorry to just be replying now, but it's my first time back on the site in about 6 months.  I appreciate your kind words and perhaps we can become friends!  I hope you're doing well with your journey!

missc_26
on 10/23/16 4:19 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi

I'm interested in how you have got on and whether it has made a difference to the type, volume etc of meds you took pre op. 

I personally fought to come off the antidepressant mirtazapine which caused a MASSIVE weight gain. While I need all other meds thus was one I was prepared to detox and get away from before I had my surgery for fear of what it would do to me post op. 

I am genuinely interested in hearing about your experience now you are several months post op.

All the best.

C

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:39 am

Hi C,

I had surgery 5 mos ago tomorrow (there was an unexpected complication and surgery had to be re-attempted a month later) and have lost just over 50 lbs.  I have gone off both my BP meds (you can read in an above reply about that drama).  I am no longer pre-diabetic.  I expect to go off my cholesterol med in a few months.  My numbers were still a trite high with my last labs.

It's so hard with depression.  The lack of energy and motivation cause complete disinterest in even getting out of bed.  Add in the meds and wow, I became a balloon - quickly!  I gained about 150 lbs in, maybe 7-8 years.

Since surgery, my the only change in my psych meds is increasing one (as of this past Wednesday).  I take 2 meds created as psych meds, but I take them for migraines.  I'm working with my neurologist to decrease those.  I've been able to cut the dose of one in half; the other I went from taking 2 pills 3 times a day to 1-1/2 times 3 times a day.  It's a start.

My psychiatrist is very aware of the struggle and conscientious of what meds she has me take.  My neurologist is also in tune.

If you're concerned, I would talk with your doctor about alternative meds which might have the same effect.  Have you found that the mirtazapine has been helpful?  If not, or if only minimally, now would be a great time to go off it and start something else after your surgery.  Is your surgery scheduled?  Which are you having?

Please don't hesitate to ask questions!!

Blessings!

missc_26
on 10/23/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi thanks for the reply and info, sounds like you have done so well over the past 5 months. I take meds for chronic pain and psych so it is a careful balance to reduce them over time I hope.

I had VSG 3 weeks ago and prior to that in June I worked on coming off the mirtazapine  (ugh the detox was hideous). I personally felt like a zombie on them and feel 1000% better not on mirtazapine.  That's not to say there might not be something else out there for me but that was most definitely not the right one for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds thru my WL journey and fingers crossed the reduction in meds will be a blessing for me too.

Best wishes.

C

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 702 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 692 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 912 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1614 views