What do you do when you no longer have food?

misha
on 3/6/04 5:29 pm - peoria, IL
Since surgery, I realized just how much I used food to cope with problems, anxieties and such. What kinds of things do you do to cope with life after surgery? Any suggestions would be so helpful.
Michelle M.
on 3/8/04 6:25 am - Lakecity -Seattle, Wa
Try and think of other ways you can deal with problems.....I got into shopping for new things like make- ups and perfume..... body bath stuff... Thats how I delt with it , I also baught dimonds.... I meen I really hunted down some bargens! I went and got my nails dun ..AND EATHEN started shopping for cool things I never shopped for before ...like SEXY bras and sexy shoes now that I lost some weight! , running around kept my mind off food ! it worked for me ! talking to other WLS folks also helps ... It dose get easyer trust me ....I know its hard , however you will get though this and It will get better .. hang in there okay! HUGGS to you ! WLS 2-3-2003 Dr D Siomonowitz 402/210/155ish - I have a dream OPEN RNY 192 POUNDS LOST & GONE
misha
on 3/8/04 5:14 pm - peoria, IL
Thank you so much for your post. I think that it is bothering me extra because I quit smoking.....again.....and the void is a big one. One great thing I notice is that I have energy now that I never had. I am going to get out and do fun things, food is no longer my best friend. Thanks again. michelle 358/260/160
Texaskandy ~.
on 4/1/04 2:18 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
Misha, I just came across your post and I was excited because I was expressing this same sentiment to someone yesterday. I am still pre-op, but I know I am an emotional eater and I know this will be a problem. My only answer is prayer. It has been a month since you initially proposed the question. How are you doing now? Blessings to you, Kandy
misha
on 4/2/04 4:15 am - peoria, IL
Kandy, I am doing okay, thank God for this surgery! I have had episodes of eating, but no matter what, 3 ounces, and I am done! If the food doesn't set well, out it comes. I have had to deal with some tragedies, the death of one of my best friends, the breakup of my long term relationship....*sigh* But I didn't use cigarettes (my friend died from a heart attack related to smoking) and I did not use food! I'm getting there, one step at a time. Thank you so much for asking. *hug*
Texaskandy ~.
on 4/2/04 11:27 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
Misha, You have experienced a great deal of hurt recently. I am glad to hear that you are hanging in there. Do you mind me asking you how you are getting through the tough times without the comfort of food and cigarettes? Kandy
misha
on 4/3/04 5:52 am - peoria, IL
Well, every time I got upset, I had to stop and ask myself if what I ate or if I went and bought cigarettes and smoked, would it change anything that was going on at that moment. Of course, no, but it took a while to really sink in. I am now at the point that it doesn't even cross my mind anymore. I do alot of working out, I listen to alot of music, and it helps to alleviate my stress.
Texaskandy ~.
on 4/4/04 2:49 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
Thanks for sharing that. I also have quite a bit going on in my life and I need to get my mind off of my problems before I eat myself into a coma. Blessings to you, Kandy
Kay M.
on 4/27/04 4:16 am - St Charles, MO
I would like to know how anyone has dealt with giving up caffene, I am a huge caffiene addict and don't know how I will do with out it after the surgery? Should I try to get off of it before the surgery?
Cyndi G.
on 4/28/04 11:18 am - Dallas, TX
You have to give up caffeine? Ok. The first 3 months post-op I couldn't tolerate coffee - acid content was too much for my stomach to handle. I was miserable because I still LOVED the smell of coffee and it just kicked off the craving. Yes, anyone who has quit smoking knows what I'm talking about -- the smell of the cigarette kicks off the craving in the same way. But my surgeon never told me I had to give up caffeine. He just said to make sure I drink extra water to compensate for the dehydration. Rule of thumb -- 2 oz water for each oz of coffee or tea. Oh, and he did want me to cut back on the milk. No more than 4 oz of skim milk per day. I have noticed that different surgeons have different recommendations/guidelines. Did anyone else have to give up caffeine??
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views