Is surgery the right answer to food addiction?

Cassandra M.
on 8/9/04 7:15 am - Chester, PA
I just found this forum and I thank the God of my understanding that I did. I have already tried Overeaters Anonymous & Food Addicts Anonymous. Both were fine but neither helped me to sustain change over the long-term. My husband is in a 12-Step and he believes that I want the Gastric Bypass becuase it's "easier" than dealing with the reasons that I use food as my drug of choice. He also thinks the surgery is a "quick fix" that won't stand up against my addiction in the long run. He's a real ray of sunshine isn't he? I've heard some other pre-ops talking about wanting to have the surgery because it's "permanent". No it's not. There are plenty of people who have gained some or all of their weight back. That's what scares me! What if I go through all of this pain and risk, only to still be compulsive around food? What do I do if I start gaining weight post-op? It's not like more surgery would be an option. In any case, I'm keeping a log of what I eat, when I eat and what emotions I am experiencing. It seems like every emotion triggers my desire to eat. That's scary! I welcome any input/feedback folks are willing to share. I need to know if other emotional eaters and food addicts have been able to overcome their addictions - even after they reach their goal weight.
shawna1180
on 8/10/04 9:23 pm - Caddo Mills, TX
Hi cassandra, I am an addict to food as well as many other things, I use food and anything else that I can jump off into to make my day or (life) go by faster or to have even the tiniest bit of excitement in my life. I have come to the conclusion that I have a problem and I had the surgery in 2000 and I lost 160 lbs and pretty much my weight fluctuates now but I have never gone above 180lbs. Once you go through all of this you tend to want to keep the weight off. I struggle with the food being my drug every single day and I still need to be delivered from it because it is a stronghold in my life and I hate the devil for giving me this one... I mean why could I not have been cursed with anorexia or something, right???? LMAO I'm kidding. I wish I had answers for you but I am struggling with the same deamons and still want to eat all the time and even though I have not gained much or any weight back I am scared to death of it everyday. If you have any questions... e-mail me at [email protected]
Brenda B.
on 8/11/04 10:40 pm - Decatur, GA
Gastric surgery is NOT easy. It a major surgery and should not be entered into without investigation. It was obvious to everyone around me that something was going on with me because of my weight. I was the one in denial. But food was never my problem. Not dealing with life as it happens has always been my problem. Not talking about things and stuffing my feelings showed up in the extra 180 lbs I had to carry around. Before my surgery, I had to come to terms with my feelings and start talking honestly about them. I stopped abusing food and started using it to benefit my health. My hope is that I remain this dedicated to my life and continue to deal with whatever God brings to me. If He brings me to it, He'll bring me through it. BTW, I have about 15 lbs until I reach my goal weight. Suggestion: Do something different instead of eating. I remember eating because it was time to eat not because I was hungry but because it was noon and at noon many people eat lunch so I ate too. Afterwards, I was miserable but told myself that I couldn't starve my body. I can justify anything away but it's always me who in the end has to deal with the feelings. So do something different like write about your feelings before you eat. Go for a walk. Go help somebody else--volunteer in your community. Extend yourself to someone who needs someone. You're not going through this just for you. At some time, you'll meet someone who will need to hear your experience and you will share with that person how you made it through so that they will know that they are not alone in the process or that they don't have to repeat the methods that you used that didn't work.
Maria P.
on 8/20/04 10:48 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I'll tell you what.... surgery is just a tool. I never thought that I had a food addiction but, at 364 pounds how could I not? Well I denied the addiction my whole life, now I had bypass in December 03 and I have lost 130 pounds and feel awesome... but and it's a big BUT, I have figured out ways around my little pouch. I have again allowed compulsive overeating to become a way of life and I am scared to death. No way do I want to go back to who I was before, but now that means I must admit something. And that something is that I have an addiction to food. After 15 years of living like this, I am having a hard time saying it is a problem. Even now I don't want to admit it, somewhere in my sick head I think I am normal, and the world is not. I strongly urge you to get on top of this before surgery because if you don't it will continue to haunt you for years to come. Good Luck!!
Lalocaweta
on 9/5/04 4:53 am - Spicewood, TX
The first part of understanding addiction is coming to grip with what causes people to become addicts. Addicts are utilizing a substance - be it drugs, alcohol, food, sex, gambling, etc. - to deal with internal pain (emotions). The using of the substance of choice helps dull that internal pain and allows the addict to achieve some sense of normalcy. (Keep in mind - normalcy is different to different individuals.) Unfortunately - many of the substances chosen by addicts also create physical addictions.... I was a cocaine addict for 10 years....Got sober through a court intervention program....But being sober does not necessarily mean you have dealt with the addiction. I moved from cocaine to food....At least food was legal - right? So from 1992 until 2004 - I used food to kill my pains. I chose wls because I saw it as tool to force me to deal with the pains I have been covering up all these years. I can no longer use food to overcome the pain - I have to face it head on...And I have begun to do that. You are on the right track with you log....The emotions are needing to be dealt with - instead of covering them up - deal with them...And remember - generally it is years of covering up - so expect it to take some time to overcome...But you will!!! Anne
Kristi S.
on 9/9/04 6:57 am - Orange County, CA
I feel your pain and confusion! I too am addicted to food - at least that is what I think. I have had an eating disorder for over 15 years, actually it is closer to 20 (OMG sudden realization of age), Bulemia. I used to eat healthy, but found it was easier to purge my food after binge eating. My husband also thinks this is a "quick fix". Although I have struggled with trying to loose it for over five years now. I went to OA as well, and it was ok, but didn't really deal with my issue. I have been to counseling, and it was great that I learned that the reason I had all these eating disorders is because I had a tough childhood and it was my relationship with my mother. (Ok whatever) I have the same thoughts and apprehensions you do. I worry about that too. I worry that I will destroy the surgery, if I get one of those binge urges. I don't even eat when I am hungry. Many times I can be completely full. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but at least once a month.
M T.
on 9/14/04 10:13 am - pittsburgh, PA
thanks to everyone *****sponded to this post. I have found it to be very, extremely helpful. I haven't become this large, just by eating healthy. I was brought up, by a passive mother who taught me "to keep peace at all costs"--never say anything negative, or that can hurt someone else's feelings, you wouldn't want that to happen to you would you? How would you feel? Always be nice, you will feel better about yourself. It is okay if you are stepped on, used, or taken advantage of as long as you don't say anything or stand up for yourself. The result is me hiding behind food to make myself feel better. I have learned to hide behind the excessive weight, afraid to excell or succeed. I have in essence eaten my life away. But something happened this year and I learned that dieting will not work for me--I have tried them all. And RNY will be a tool for me to loose the weight and live again. My issues with food will never go away. But I have found my voice, and how stand up for myself and my family. I have learned to find other outlets to deal with my frustration (I crinkle up paper at work when I am frustrated. It's dorky, but it works) and will continue to do so. Thanks!
Alayne E.
on 9/22/04 1:03 am - Brookfield, IL
I have to keep reminding myself that my addiction to food is completely different from other addictions like alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, sex, gambling, etc. The human body can live without the stuff of the other addictions but we can't live without food. We must eat to live. I don't know that any of us can completely overcome an addiction to food. We have to live with it constantly. An alcoholic can live quite well on a desert island without booze but no one can live without food. If we're to maintain a healthy weight it'll be a constant struggle for the rest of our lives. As far as the lack of support from your husband is concerned tell him to work his own program. He hasn't walked that proverbial mile in your shoes. Don't promote him to the position of expert-he's not one if he thinks this surgery is the easy way out. Maybe it's time for him to re-read the steps. Alayne
JessicaRaeMastro
on 9/13/07 1:15 pm - NY
I have thought the same things many times.  I was actually told by a therapist that I was addicted to food back in 7th grade! I never went back to him, and then years later realized he was right when I had gained tons of weight. The surgery does help, it's a huge tool; aside from it helping you become full faster, since fullness isn't the biggest concern to people with food addictions.  It's a constant reminder that makes you think about what types of foods you are eating every meal. You will never be unaware of what you are eating again, it'll always be in the back of your mind since the surgery becomes such a focal part of your life.  That's the biggest change right there, because when I used to binge I never thought about what I was eating, just kept on shoveling. You will struggle with it some days more then others.  Some days you will be optimistic, happy and won't think about not eating, other days it'll be a struggle. The trick is to just get back on track as soon as you can. Don't beat yourself up or obsess over a mistake and start the whole emotional eating cycle. Do the best you can, take it day by day, one step at a time. Don't get overwhelmed, or anxious or think too much in the future. Just keep your goal in mind and how you want to get there and stick to that path as closely as you can. Maintenance is EXTREMELY possible and a much healthier, therefore happier way to live.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views