Test for Smoking

Dyna L.
on 9/16/04 4:57 am - San Antonio, tx
Can a doctor really test for smoking and how accurate is it. I have been around a LOT of smokers since I quit. How do they know, or example, one or two cig a day habit vs second hand smoke. I have read that smoking is metabolised in your system after 72 hrs. Do I have to stay away from my smoking friends. -Dyna
Craig E.
on 9/19/04 10:19 am
Yes, they do have a test for smoking and it's accurate. I over a month ago, but my Doctor doesn't test for it, I just did it so I have a better shot at doing well after surgery. I hear your way more prone to ulcers if your a smoker after the surgery, so that scared the heck out of me. I quit cold turkey and the physical withdrawals went away after about a week. I think the test can pick up wether you've smoked or not in the last 30 days. Hope this helps. Craig
gerardlovesjoy
on 10/6/04 8:55 am - Joliet, IL
my doctor told me to quit smoking before surgery and said he would test me for smoking prior to performing surgery. He said if my nicotine levels were high he would not perform the surgery. I actually didn't quit until about 4 days before surgery. I didn't think he performed any test, that it was just to scare me into quiting, but after reading your posts....maybe he did. Joy
SmokyBlue
on 1/9/05 1:20 am - Arlington Heights, IL
Ok, so I have to quit smoking too. I read the posts and went online searching for the type of test they do. It seems they do a urine test? I know I'm going to quit, but the stress and pressure of quitting is making me smoke! LOL I've tried to find something to show just how long it takes to get out of your system, but I can't find anything! If anyone knows, please drop me a line. Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views