Anyone planning on going to Mexico this January?

5DogMa
on 11/2/11 8:07 am - Rancho Cordova, CA
We are trying for the week of January 22nd with Dr. Fernando Garcia Govea in TJ.  His price is $5,000 for VSG. Look him up on this site. He has done a lot of these procedures and has a good reputation.  I am taking my daughter for the surgery.  We are using Ready 4 A Change and Alma for the agent who is part of Obesity Solutions International for the planning and scheduling.  We are just getting started with the paperwork. 2 days in hospital and 3 days hotel is part of the package.  I'm asking a lot of questions and still figuring this all out.  These groups are very helpful getting everyones first had experiences to help you make an informed decision.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
terrapin16
on 11/2/11 1:01 pm - CO
Can I ask what types of questions you're asking?  I spoke with the coordinator for Dr. Kelly last week and she asked if I had any questions....and I couldn't think of even ONE at the time.

I just want to know that my mom and I are going to be 100% safe in Mexico.  That's truly my main concern at this point.  Trish, the coordinator, did touch on that a little bit, saying they all know everyone around and there's no way we shouldn't/wouldn't feel safe.  And that the media makes it seem like Mexico is super scary but it's really not.

But besides that, what else should I be asking/wanting to know?  I know this is all a personal issue, but if you have some main issues/concerns you've been talking about with your coordinator I would love to hear about it. 

Thanks in advance.
5DogMa
on 11/3/11 1:29 am - Rancho Cordova, CA
I live in CA and grew up in So Cal and we would go to Mexico a lot.  It's just like any place or town.  There are good areas and bad areas.  I am not worried about safety at all.  People have been going to Mexico for years for medical treatments and for dentistry. People go for cancer treatments and I've heard amazing stories about that.  Probably because I know people who have gone down there for years I don't feel unsafe. So safety is not a big concern of mine although any time you travel out of country safety is always on your mind.  I also think things have changed a lot in the last 20 years.  One thing for sure, they want us to come down there so they want to make sure we feel safe, have experienced doctors, and good hospitals.  I've been looking for complaints and haven't really found any but one.

A lot of my questions were related to their service.  Why there are so many agencies booking the same doctors.  Then of course "exactly how does this work".  Once someone gets down there can they be told they are not physically in condition to get the surgery?  Up here they make you go through so many tests before they will even consider you for surgery.  It takes months to do all the testing. Down there you go the day before surgery and get your tests.  They emailed me all kinds of information that answered most of my questions although Alma at Ready 4 A Change did a great job answering every question I had.  If you want I'll be happy to email you the info she sent me that answers a lot of questions.

I am having VSG surgery here in Sacramento on Dec 7th.  I've been working on this since February.  We are going to Mexico for my daughter who does not have medical insurance.  I am checking it all our for her and will be going with her.  We are thinking the week of January 23rd.  I will be 7 weeks post-op so she will know what I have experienced.

Good luck in this journey and let me know if you would like me to send you the email Alma sent me with all the attachments.

Paula
terrapin16
on 11/3/11 8:08 am, edited 11/2/11 8:09 pm - CO
Hey Paula,
Thanks for the great info. I just sent you a private message with my email so you could send me the attachments. I really appreciate it.

I just emailed Trish, the coordinator for Dr. Kelly, with a few questions...maybe you or someone here knows the answers to them:

1.Will I ever be able to drink diet coke (decaffinated) again? I LIVE on it!! :(
2. What if I go and fail a test. Do I get a full refund?
3. Will I always have to eat first, then drink 30 minutes later? I can't imagine not drinking while eating.

Also,..not sure why this post is all the way up here. Haven't quite figured out this site yet.
NomieRebecca
on 11/16/11 2:19 am - Lindale, TX
VSG on 09/25/12
 I'm not seeing Dr. Kelley but im tentatively scheduled for Jan 5th with Dr. Rod in Juarez. This is my first time doing anything like this and im just as scared as you are. I've been very heavy my entire life and im beginning to feel like my fat is my security blanket. I'm not sure what im going to do without it. I have never been able to shop anywhere for clothes in over 15 years. I've always had to buy clothes online and "hope" they fit. Usually either too small or too big and always unflattering. I'm looking forward to shopping. In my mind, when i can buy off th rack at walmart i will be happy LOL

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 11:37 am
VSG on 01/16/12
On October 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, terrapin16 wrote:
My thoughts (which change hourly) at this time is that I'm hoping my temp job will end on Dec 31st as it's supposed to (however, it may go longer and then we may be offered permanent jobs) and that I want to go to Mexico in Jan to be sleeved.  I go back and forth on this.  I just wish I could diet/exercise like a normal person and keep the weight off.  The reason I'm thinking of VSG is bc I've tried all types of diets and CAN NEVER keep the weight off.  I've never been put under, never even spent a night in the hospital.  I almost didn't go to college bc I had to get some shot before I went.  I'm a total chicken sh%^ ;).
But I'm tired of being the fat girl (with a good personality, of course ;) and don't want to have to worry about my weight anymore.
My mom is fully on board with the process and is planning on going with me. I just feel confused and scared...which I'm sure is 100% normal.
So, I guess my initial question is:  anyone going to Dr. Kelly in January?  And second:  anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  I hate all my clothes/feel ugly in them all.  I think life would be easier if I were thinner.  I haven't even gone back home to see my friends or family in TWO YEARS bc I'm embarassed by the way I look. 

Help, advice, kind words....anything anyone feels like offering would be great. 
 I too absolutely understand. Even though I am using Dr. Almanza, I am scheduled for January 16 for a Vertical Gastric Sleeve and I can not wait. And I will tell you that I never would have dreamed I would be going to Mexico to have any type of surgery. But as I thought of all the pros and cons of going there compared to the pros and cons I am most familiar with having worked in several hospitals over the years, I have a deep peace about my choice.

Things can happen any place, any time...so I am satisfied with my choice.

Good luck to you and hope you find your peace also with your decision, whatever it may be.
cathygo
on 12/8/11 2:42 am
I am going to have surgery in January in Mexico but with another doctor, I am going to Dr. Aceves for a DS.  I am a revision surgery, had the sleeve done and it failed.  I  mostly blame  myself for not choosing a good surgeon for the sleeve  initally ( long story) , so this time around I will pay more but get a  good surgeon to do it.

I guess we all go through the  same fears, this is my 2nd time around and am feeling them too. I did go shopping yesterday and the experience just about  eliminated all my fears, it was freustrating to say the least,  I am so looking forward to being thin and  not going through this again, ever.  Maybe a good shopping therapy is all you need LO L

Cath

LacieMC
on 12/16/11 3:16 pm - WA
Hi All,
I am having sugery on Jan 17th with Dr. Garcia. I'm nervous also...but I keep pushing it out of my mind. I am going alone, so if anyone will be there, please let me know! :)
Rova1969
on 2/18/13 1:03 am - TX

Just to se how you are doing

andkel30
on 1/1/12 8:05 am - mesquite, TX
Hello  Im having my surgery 02/29/2012 with DR. Rodriguez in Juarez hope to hear about all of your journeys and to find some one traveling on that date as well
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 338 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 522 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1115 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1694 views