Anyone planning on going to Mexico this January?

terrapin16
on 10/23/11 5:27 am - CO
My thoughts (which change hourly) at this time is that I'm hoping my temp job will end on Dec 31st as it's supposed to (however, it may go longer and then we may be offered permanent jobs) and that I want to go to Mexico in Jan to be sleeved.  I go back and forth on this.  I just wish I could diet/exercise like a normal person and keep the weight off.  The reason I'm thinking of VSG is bc I've tried all types of diets and CAN NEVER keep the weight off.  I've never been put under, never even spent a night in the hospital.  I almost didn't go to college bc I had to get some shot before I went.  I'm a total chicken sh%^ ;).
But I'm tired of being the fat girl (with a good personality, of course ;) and don't want to have to worry about my weight anymore.
My mom is fully on board with the process and is planning on going with me. I just feel confused and scared...which I'm sure is 100% normal.
So, I guess my initial question is:  anyone going to Dr. Kelly in January?  And second:  anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  I hate all my clothes/feel ugly in them all.  I think life would be easier if I were thinner.  I haven't even gone back home to see my friends or family in TWO YEARS bc I'm embarassed by the way I look. 

Help, advice, kind words....anything anyone feels like offering would be great. 
ND2BTHN
on 10/23/11 1:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi, I am not going to Dr. Kelly but I am also getting sleeved in January. It is normal to be scared and apprehensive. It is a huge step and you are lucky to have your mom there to support you. I will be going alone for my surgery, which is nerve wracking to say the least.

My words of wisdom is that if you don't take charge of your health and well being...who will? I too, tried various diets, but lets face it, I would give up pretty quickly when I didn't get the results I was looking for quickly enough. I did this to myself. I have to be accountable for my body and actions, so this is just another way of taking responsibility for it. It is frightening, and a huge adjustment, but I know, if I don't do something drastic about it, that will force me to stay on track, I will just continue this way till I die. 

I feel sick, looking in the mirror. I am short and 110 lbs over my ideal BMI. I am constantly embarrassed about my weight, with how clothes fit, how uncomfortable I feel, enduring comments from friends and family about my weight, and seeing my daughter, repeating my food issues. I have become very secluded over the years. I don't mingle with anyone from my youth, since I was much smaller then. I am afraid to participate in active things, because of how I look, or not being able to do them, so I won't even try. 

This is something I have to say enough too. If I don't make the change and put forth the effort, no one will do it for me. So, as scary as it is for me, I am taking the leap of faith and trusting the surgeon, and the all mighty, to bring me through safely, and move forward with my new life. 18 years is a long time being MO and I am sooo ready to see the old me again, and feel good in my own skin for once.

You won't regret it. I will be the best gift to yourself you ever received. You can always ask the surgeon for a sedative the night before surgery to help calm your nerves. 

Best of luck!!

susanpalmer
on 10/24/11 2:41 am - annapolis county, Canada
Oh my god thank you for posting. I feel the same way thought maybe i was alone. I am getting sleeved on dec 2nd with dr kelly and i keep doughting myself should i have tried one more time to diet. I know that once i am sleeved i will be ok but i think the mind is a funny thing. Best of luck

susan palmer    
highest weight 280 current weight 186

terrapin16
on 10/24/11 12:31 pm, edited 10/24/11 12:32 pm - CO
I feel like I hit rock bottom tonight.  I went to Old Navy and couldn't find ONE SINGLE thing that fit me.  I went to Dress Barn and gave up halfway through trying on clothes and just walked out.  My psychiatrist suggested HCG (not really sure the details of that diet/plan/whatever it is)....I just know a girl I work with passed out the 2nd day she was on it.

I have nowhere to go but up I suppose.  I cried all the way home from the store....and then stopped at Wendy's for dinner....thankfully they messed up and put mustard on my THREE burgers so I didn't eat them.  But really...who in their right mind needs THREE burgers for dinner?

I think I just need to stop thinking and just DO IT!!!!  I want to see my niece and nephew (who I haven't seen for two years...and in their young little lives, that's like cat years....you know? ;)

I can't be afraid of seeing people I haven't seen for awhile.  That's not fun.  It's stressful.  And not good for the soul to not be able to connect with old friends.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this battle of my life.  But on many days it feels that way.  I wish I could go tomorrow and just be done with it!!!
Mommyinneed
on 10/27/11 2:13 am - jacksonville, FL
I smiled when I read your first posting. I will avoid going where I know I will run into someone. I have struggles with my weight since high school, then lost for several years. After the birth of my first son my weight stayed the same. After the birth of my daughter who is now 2 I have been considered MORBIDLY obese. The first time I read that on my hospital form I cried. The was the first time I realized my weight has now become a NAME! SInce my son I have been on blood pressure meds, as well as a few others. I plan to go to Mexico sometime summer of 2012. Ive heard that my HRA card will work in Mexico as long as they except it. I am still researching who to use. Dr Joya seems wonderful however his prices are much higher than the others. Flights from Jacksonville, to Cancun are the  cheapest which has brought me to Dr. Hector Perez.  Im torn between who is good, and locations. Please let me know how your experience turns out and if at all possible how much this will cost for all who have replied. Is Dr. Kelly reasonable? Flights? etc
terrapin16
on 10/27/11 12:06 pm - CO
Luckily I live about 2000 miles from where I grew up, so running into certain people is very avoidable ;)  However, I do have many people where I live now who I don't want to see just the same.  It's such an uncomfortable feeling.  Most people won't mention the weight, but in our minds that's all they're thinking about :(

What is an HRA card?  I've never heard of that.  My plan is to fly to San Diego (flights from Denver were around $160 or so last time I checked) and have Dr.Kelly as my surgeon in Mexico.  His price right now for VSG is $5700.  Thankfully my mom is willing to help me out as she knows how important this is to me.  Not sure other doctors/prices.  But that might be a good thread to start:  asking who went to who and what was the price. 

I just spoke with a patient coordinator, Trish, who comes highly recommended.  She sent me all the medical forms I needed to fill out and I immediately filled them out and sent them back.  I'm getting closer and closer to having my mind made up that this is what I'm going to do.  I just have to wait to hear what's doing with work, which is frustrating because I have no control over that.

I'm extremely new to this site and haven't been sleeved 'yet', but there are tons of helpful, welcoming people here who seem more than willing to answer any other questions you might have.  And please feel free to message me or reply here if you have other questions.

A
TeetsMcGee73
on 10/28/11 7:22 am - TX

Hi! I am tentatively scheduled for January 10th with Dr. Kelly for a band to sleeve revision. What date are you looking at?

terrapin16
on 10/28/11 11:41 am - CO
I don't know for certain yet.  I want to go in January but need to hear what's doing at my temp job. 
cookielu46
on 11/16/11 8:26 am - AZ
Hi, I have been corresponding with Terrapin16. I noticed your message above and wanted to let you know that I just made an appointment with Dr. Joya and suggest you check his website Dr.Joya.com - He is offering surgery plus 3 nights at the beachfront Krystal Hotel and 2 nights at the Hospital. He is now using the new state of the art hospital called Amerimed.  He is currently offering a price of $7,000, which will hold for 12 months after you put in your deposit.  I'm scheduled for Feb. 24, 2012. You might want to check out thinjourney on you tube, Andy Blanton, he will give you a detailed description of his experiece with Dr Joya. He and his wife Brooke are from Atlanta Ga. and both went at the same time for VSG.  They are a young couple in early 30's and have young 2 sons. They loved Dr. Joya and are very happy with their outcome. Andy lost 145 lbs. and brooke lost 114lbs.  and they feel great. check them out.  Hope I've helped you with this information.
Regards,
Lucille
Alice71
on 10/29/11 2:40 am - Canada
VSG on 01/09/12
I am getting my sleeve done Jan 9 flying in to Mexico on the 8th from Canada see dr. Oritz is doing my surgery I have nothing but good and I watched him on oprah good luck , if you wanna meet up in Mexico for support contact me and add me as a friend
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 304 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 488 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1087 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1656 views