"Food" for the plane ride back?

FatReva
on 2/1/12 2:37 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
I'm scheduled for VSG with Dr. Almanza in March and I'm starting to get my ducks in a row, so to speak.

One concern I have is being hungry on the plane - I mean the 'shaky, need sugar/protein in my belly' type hunger. I tend to get that way if I don't eat on a regular basis now and what comes along with the feeling is a horrendously rude, crazy mean Reva. What follows is a migraine.

So... from reading the forums, maybe I won't be hungry, but I'd rather be prepared. To the end, and in light of the TSA's ridiculous liquids restrictions, what post-op food *** yeah, drinks) could I pack in my carry-on? Any suggestions for powder packets?

Reva

ND2BTHN
on 2/2/12 7:37 am, edited 2/2/12 7:45 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
Chances are you will be fasting on the day you arrive, so you won't be allowed to eat anything after your breakfast anyway. I brought some protein bars to have after you have had all your required testing completed, and you are waiting to go have your last meal before surgery. I had to fast for 6 hours prior to my testing, so that meant nothing after 10am pt.  

Post surgery, you would be on a liquid diet only at this point, so no food is needed. My surgeon did give me vitamin water with my last breakfast before leaving for the airport, which I took with me to the airport. I did take it on the plane. I put it in the tray that goes through the scanner. The security girl picked it up and asked me if I really needed the drink. I simply replied, "yes, I  just had surgery and I am on a liquid only diet". She put it into a scanner they use for liquids, to check for any chemical ingredients and let me go on my way.

Trust me, you will not feel even remotely hungery. If you do, it is only in your head. It took me 13 hours to drink that bottle,  No joke. That is how much you can fit in your new swollen tiny tummy at that point, and you will be too afraid to put much in it at first anyway. You may still be feeling pain from the gas, like I did, and adding liquid felt like it only magnified the pain. So no food is neccessary. You can only have clear liquids, so I would suggest propel, vitamin water, gatorade, or crystal light packs that you can add to a bottle of water. Plain water, may not sit well, so I suggest you add something to it. Also we tend to be more sensitive to cold liquids, so a decaf tea may also be a good option on the plane, but don't expect to fini**** Good luck.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
twinsand1
on 2/2/12 10:37 am - SC
I really didn't want anything but I did pack some of the single serve gatorade packs you just add to water and bought a water in the airport and sipped that on the ride.. I did order a half oj and water but that wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done.. The gatorade was the trick.. Good Luck
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

Zedsmummy
on 2/8/12 11:21 pm - Canada
I was on full liquids by the time I flew home (I stayed in the US visiting for a few days) but I packed boullion to make broth (clear liquid) and promasil powder (Full liquid protien) I just mixed them with water from airport restaurants. I also had ordered soup and ate only the broth. I had no problems taking boullion and protien powder through security. Security refused to make and exception for us to carry liquids through security. We didn't argue just tossed what we had and purchased new once on the cleared security.
              Sleeved by Dr. Kelly, Tijuana BC Mexico, Decemeber 7th 2011.

kg34
on 3/10/12 1:13 am - AL
I brought tea bags and bouillon cubes for the plane ride home, but didn't use them.  You can get hot tea on the plane (or ho****er for bouillon).  Or ice water if you prefer.  I found hot things satisfied my more than cold (I felt like I was getting something).

HW 243  5'5"       Pre-op - 207,  Surgery Weight 197 - 12/19/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 333 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 514 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1109 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1689 views