Any Canadians please?

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/31/12 1:29 am, edited 5/31/12 3:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Where did you go and what was your experience like?
How did you deal with your GP about it?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Jackie00
on 5/31/12 8:02 am
Dr Kelly in Mexico, great experience. I think he is 5500 and you register on his website and he calls you I believe.

Just talk to your family Dr and tell them of your plans, find out if you need any documentation of your surgery and get it before you leave Mexico. I ended up having to explain what I did cause my Dr left the province and I had to get a new one that wanted documentation more then just the swallow test xrays. I need to go and have more bloodwork again soon for follow up.

I have been run ragget for the last few months and didn't do the six month follow up. I had a child injured at school requiring surgery and just got the cast off this week, now physio appointments plus my dad passed away a week after surgery on my child. It has been a few really hard months. I still have my crying spells and feel some days like I am burntout or a nervous breakdown with everything going on. I just wish the stall would frig off now into seventh week of it.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Madelaine2000
on 5/31/12 10:05 am
Hi there..a Canadian here..
If you read a few threads under yours, you will see a few of us who just came back last week from Tijuana..Dr. Ponce de Leon. Really great experience, no prblems whatsoever. if you would like the contact information, just let me know and I can get you in touch with the coordinator we used.
As for the GP, I told her that I was having it done and she said not a problem. She is more than able and willing to do my aftercare. As long as all goes well for you, the only real aftercare you will need is bloodwork and then whatever else you would normally have done at a physical.

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

baydoll
on 6/6/12 10:07 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I went to Dr. Castaneda Cruz in Puerto Vallarta. I was reluctant to go to a border town in Mexico for safety reasons. My family doc has been supportive and I have essentially not needed any post-op attention. I've had routine bloodwork twice since my surgery 17 months ago. Best thing I ever did for myself!! I'm going there later this month with a friend who is having surgery. Contact me if you want more info.

Doreen
ND2BTHN
on 6/11/12 1:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I chose Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. I went alone and was very comfortable, and happy with my choice. My GP was a bit put off at first, but was fine with it once I explained that I really didn't require any special aftercare, other than monitoring some blood tests periodically. Never had any issues so far. There are many Canadian patients who went to Mexico on the vsg board who would all love to share their experiences.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/11/12 3:10 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm getting excited about this new adventure. my husband is going with me as my support person and my sis decided to jump on board.(and was able to get the same surgery date) Her daughter is flying down with her.
I don't have to start my pre-op diet until next week, but I've had my food funerals, and being he keener I am I started this morning. It's a good thing I did - getting my carbs down to 30 is trickier than expected. I'll do better tomorrow and should be pretty good at it by next week.

beach_mama
on 7/24/12 7:11 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Hi Kelly-Anne,  I chose Dr. Aceves and have been approved.  Most likely it will be middle of August for surgery.  I'm very excited.  How did you make out?
Kelly-AnneH
on 7/25/12 5:47 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
It was great! The first 2 days after surgery I had some bouts of left shoulder pain (gas - walk more than I did!) and nausea which were dealt with really quickly by the nursing staff. After that the only issues I had were dehydration and fatigue. Do whatever it takes to get fluids into you - dehydration is scary and very dangerous.

Ramon was our driver - very pleasant young man and very willing to answer questions during the drive. The landscape you'll be driving through is amazing - have your camera available. You go through "mountains" but nothing like we're used to in the Rockies. You know the huge rocks some people pay a small fortune for to have in their front yard? The mountains there are huge piles of rocks like that.

You'll love Dr Aceves and especially Dr Campos, who does a talk on living with a sleeve and is very funny. Both doctors will visit you 1-2 times every day and are always willing to answer questions

Keep the English/Spanish cheat sheet close by - it's super useful when talking with the nursing staff. Getting past embarrassment and trying (even in the most mangled way) is appreciated. The staff is really wonderful.

If you're like us and use artificial sweetener in your tea or coffee, take your own from home. We found out that what looks like Sugar Twin down there is actually saccharin. (horrible stuff!)

Do you have a support person going with you?

Kelly-Anne

beach_mama
on 7/25/12 7:56 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Hello again,

Thanks so much for all the info.  My husband wanted to join me initially but he's going to stay home with our children so I'm going alone.

I love these forums and have been reading them for quite a while now...can't wait to have it done!

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/30/12 1:46 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The other patients' support people will likely take you under their wings, so you won't be lonely. My experience was pretty much a pyjama party with surgery. Yes, I had some brief bouts of pain and nausea, but the nursing staff was very quick with meds. The rest of the time was walking, sipping, gabbing and sleeping.

The blue dye bit on the day after surgery really isn't a big deal. Yes, it's bitter, but the cups really are tiny and you just motor through them. And - you ge****er, herb tea and juice after! Herb tea has never tasted so wonderful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 312 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 496 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1095 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1668 views