DS in Mexico, good results?

texasrigdiver
on 10/25/12 1:21 pm - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I would be interested in hearing about your DS surgery in Mexico. Doctors names, hospital names and any costs you feel comfortable sharing would be appreciated.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

Julie L.
on 10/25/12 4:48 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

Per dsfacts.com,   there's only one surgeon in Mexico that's recommended for the DS surgery,  and that's Dr. Gilberto Ungson

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html#mexico

pineview01
on 10/28/12 12:24 pm - Davison, MI

When will you be having you DS with Ferrari? 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

texasrigdiver
on 10/28/12 1:03 pm - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Currently I have submitted all requirements from my surgeon and my ins company, NUT, Cardiologist, Psych, and blood work.  Dr. Ferrari's staff submitted my doc package to UHC on Wed 10/24. I'm waiting on approval from the ins company. I've already spoke with the ins company on a couple of occasions and will be calling back Monday to find out where my case stands. Since I have a BMI of over 45, and all the histories the ins co. is looking for I expect to be approved quickly.

Hopefully I will have the surgery this year or I'll be out several thousand dollars in co-pays. Then, by April We'll be able to get my wife down to Mexico for her DS. Her BMI is too low to be approved, unless she develops a comorbidity within the next several months.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

pineview01
on 10/28/12 1:34 pm - Davison, MI

Ahh, that is why your hanging out here!  How high does your insurance require your bmi be for the DS and how high is hers.  Mine doesn't cover the DS and my COE doesn't consider the DS a acceptable surgery.  The center just started doing the sleeve 4/09 and I had my band 2/09.  My insurance just started covering the sleeve this year and when all the banded needed to convert they went to a once in a lifetime WLS

Good luck!  I hope they get you in yet this year so you have those thousands to use on your wife.  Getting and staying healthy sure is expensive.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ChristinaS9476
on 10/29/12 12:44 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

I'm not having the DS, but the DS forum had a ton of information and a cautionary tale about going with an unknown.  I know the surgeon I chose to do the RNY does the DS as well, but I also heard that it's a much more complicated surgery, especially if it's a revision and Ungson is the best choice...but check the DS forum...seriously, there are a TON of people on there talking about it....specifically a woman that had a horrible experience with a DS in Mexico...can't remember her name right now though.  She had her surgery done by some guy that begins with an H I think.  I just did a search and came across it.  

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 283 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 467 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1073 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1644 views