VSG with Dr. Joya.

Mary C.
on 5/15/13 4:15 am - Glovertown, Canada

HOLA! My husband had a VSG with Dr. Joya here at the Amerimed Hospital in Puerta Vallarta yesterday.

He is doing fantastic - no pain at all, had some nausea and urging a bit last night - but got some medication for that - and for the most part slept fairly well. He went into the OR at 1445 hrs yesterday - Dr. Joya called me at 1600hrs to tell me my husbands surgery went fine and he would ne two hrs in recovery. (The norm). Sure enough - at 1800hrs he was back in his room. He was up to go to the washroom and for a short walk around 9pm. Today he is doing well - down for his leak test at 1100hrs - passed - now taking ice chips and water. Has had a shower and a few walks. Dr. Joya has been in to see him, the psychologists has been in, the nurses have changed his small bandages twice - once early am - and then again after he showered as they got wet and started to fall of a bit. He still has an IV - but that will probably come out later this afternoon.

So far - from the fellow who met us at the airport - to the driver - to the staff at the Sunset Plaza Hotel - to people on the street that we talked to to ask where an ATM or a market was - to the staff here at Amerimed - I could not ask for any better. We expect me husband will be discharged tomorrow around noon and then we will spend the remaining two days in Puerto Vallarta back at the Sunset Plaza - which is awesome by the way!

Just wanted to post this here as I know when I was a pre-op and planning and deciding - ANY information like this was so important to me!

troopersma
on 5/17/13 2:24 pm

Thank you for sharing.  I'm not using Dr. Joya but I am going to Mexico in July for RNY.  I tried sharing my surgery date on the RNY board because I was excited - and only got ONE response and it was basically telling me I should save up and have surgery in the states.   I felt a little hurt so, it is good to come here and see positive postings about Mexico.

Hope your husband has a speedy and complication free recovery.

Heather P.
on 5/18/13 7:34 am

That's super exciting news! I'm still in the research stage but am planning to head down the Mexico for a Sleeve. Can I ask what you costs where? Surgery. Travel.. :) 

Thanks so much!!!

Cian

Mary C.
on 5/20/13 11:30 pm - Glovertown, Canada

VSG was $6500, plus we chose to pay $500 to participate in the complication fund. We got great airfare - $899 each return - we booked that ourselves. We chose to go down a day early and the extra night at the hotel was around $100. Of course there are other expenses - food, a few taxis and other  incidentals while travelling to and from PV - but those were the main ones.

Heather P.
on 5/26/13 8:33 am

Can you tell me what the complication fund is? is it like insurance if you need extra care?

AshyTashy
on 5/20/13 1:18 pm - Smithtown, NY
VSG on 06/05/13 with

Thanks for your post! I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Joya on June 5th. I will be going with my friend who can't wait to et a tan. :)  Im glad to hear you and your husband had such a great experience, I am looking forward to mine. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 316 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 501 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1098 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1672 views