Support after Mexico

goleftoklahoma
on 11/6/13 3:12 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Pre-op currently until January.  I wonder what kind of post-surgery programs are available for me when i return home.  I know someone suggested weigh****chers.  Any thoughts?  What has anyone else done?  

mkvand
on 11/6/13 6:06 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm also planning surgery in January.  I'm planning on using on-line resources, like this site, plus some people I know who've had weight loss surgery.  I live in a small town, so even if I weren't going to Mexico I wouldn't have any local support groups.

goleftoklahoma
on 11/6/13 11:30 pm
VSG on 01/24/14

Have you picked a surgeon, and a procedure?

mkvand
on 11/7/13 4:33 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm having VSG with Dr. Alvarez.  Since I won't have local follow up, I wanted the surgery with the lowest complication and easiest maintenance.  I picked my surgery type first, then found a surgeon with a good reputation for performing it.

robynimac229
on 11/6/13 11:11 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

What procedure did you decide to have done?

Robyn

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

goleftoklahoma
on 11/6/13 11:29 pm
VSG on 01/24/14

I was so convinced I would do the VSG, but now, I've been reading about the people that fell back into old habits.  I don't feel like I can change the problems in my head, and that I would probably benefit from the malabsorption of GB.  I don't know, but I need to figure it out lol

robynimac229
on 11/8/13 5:42 am
RNY on 08/21/13

I understand how you feel. I even kept going back and forth between GB and VGS because of what was all involved, but I noticed many of the people that have had VGS don't lose as much weight and keep it off as those who do RNY. Also, it doesn't have the 95% possibility of diabetes going into remission that RNY does.

One observation I have noticed is some of my friends who did VGS started to stall at about 35 pounds of weight loss and it was difficult for them to keep losing and some really didn't lose to much more. Start asking on the board what people have lost and how long it took, that might help you in your decision.

Robyn

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lala285
on 11/11/13 5:22 am - OK
VSG on 08/06/12

Prior to my surgery I was already seeing a nutritionist and a counselor (to talk about the mind stuff related to overeating habits, coping with anxiety using food, etc.) Being seriously overweight is such a multi-faceted issue. As many on OH say, the surgery is just a tool, it's not the solution to our weight issues. So, in my opinion, it's very important to address all angles.

That said, before the surgery I made sure to talk to my primary care physician about my plans to go to MX for the surgery. I wasn't asking for her approval, just that she would support me post-op by ordering regular blood work. My nutritionist has been incredibly helpful with interpreting blood work and suggesting the appropriate amount of vitamins and supplements, as well as post-bariatric surgery recipes that focus on protein. Lastly, the OH forum is obviously a great resource. I don't come here as often as I used to. Immediately post-op I was on here more often. As for support through groups like Weigh****chers, I wouldn't put much faith in that. I think you'd be better off finding a group like TOPS or even Overeaters Anonymous, just because they focus more on the support/mind type stuff than just "eat this many points and you'll lose weight". You might also check with area hospitals if they have support groups for people pre- or post-op and if they allow outsiders (people who didn't have surgery at that particular facility) to participate.

I'm not sure if you're in Oklahoma (per your user name) but I would be happy to provide you my nutritionist's name via PM if you want. Or any other information/support.

Best of luck to you! Getting the surgery is the best thing I ever did. I've lost 120 lbs and have about 15 to go. I will get to goal!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

llLou
on 11/11/13 6:53 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I totally agree with lala. Weigh****chers is a great program but it doesn't address our  protein needs.It's a totally different eating plan. We also need that emotional and medical(doctor and dietitian) support. Good luck!

goleftoklahoma
on 11/12/13 12:11 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Lala, thanks for that info, yes I am in OKC.  If your NUT is in a surrounding area please do send me that information.  My insurance program doesn't cover costs, or anything surgery related, but it will cover 100% for me to meet with a "weight loss counselor" what ever that is.  SO I'm going to try that as soon as it kicks in January 1.  That being said i plan on making exercise a big part of achieving my goal.  I was looking at your WL stats and they look good,  Do you do a regular exercise regimen just curious?  And as far as weigh****chers i agree that it doesn't do enough to address the psychological reasons behind addiction etc.  Great information thank you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 304 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 488 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1087 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1656 views