US or Mexico? -- Family Pressure

Stacy_WLS
on 11/14/13 1:09 am

I posted this on the general sleeve page, but thought this might be the better place.  

I am self pay and found a surgeon that I am very comfortable in Mexico (Dr Ramos Kelly).  My PCP looked him up with me and was on board.  He said he would have no problem helping me with any follow up care.  My parents however are not at all comfortable with Mexico.  They convinced me to do the surgery in Chicago (they are helping me fund the additional cost of doing it here).  

I am working with a surgeon in Chicago, but have not been impressed so far with everything.  I had a horrible experience with his psychologist and am unsure about his nutritionist so far (have my one on one with her on Monday).  I have a surgery date 12/9, but based on the discussion with the psychologist she might want to pu**** back b/c she needs paperwork done from my Doctor & Therapist and is unable to e-mail it so it must be done by snail mail (?!?!)

Because I had a surgery date, I have already bought tickets for my mother to come to Chicago for that date and set up the time off from work.  So changing it at this point would be stressful on many fronts and expensive!  I'm meeting with the surgeon on Monday, so should just remain calm and wait for that discussion, but the uncertainty has me very stressed out.  

I am not wishing I just went with my gut and went to Mexico.  I would already be in recovery :(  if things do not go well on Monday, I may just take that route regardless.  

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Did you do the surgery where your family wanted or do what made you feel most comfortable?

DontPanic
on 11/14/13 12:58 pm - Alamogordo, NM

I haven't had WLS yet, but if I did I would do it where I felt most comfortable. I love my family and all but I would have a nice conversation with them how I appreciate their concern, but I am more comfortable in another setting. Talk about how you researched the Doctor with your PCP, even research the part of Mexico you will be going to. Maybe they need to hear more comforting things about Mexico so they can feel comfortable with you going as well.

mkvand
on 11/14/13 3:02 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

It's your body, you should do what you are comfortable with.  Any legitimate concerns should be addressed, but if someone is just opposed to Mexico because it's Mexico, I don't listen to them.

robynimac229
on 11/16/13 9:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

I had RNY surgery with Dr. Kelly in August, but I did see several male patients there who had the VGS while I was there. They were up and out shopping. I was still in a wheelchair, but I had complications from the surgery and Dr. Kelly had to do a second surgery within 48 hours of the first one. I am almost 3 months post-op and still recovering. You can read my blog if you want, I talk in detail how I felt about my experience.

I went to Mexico because my PCP would not give me a referral to see a WLS doctor and my insurance required that first step. Since I was not able to begin the process to have WLS here in the US, I chose what option I could afford, Mexico. If your family is willing to pay the difference in the states, go for it, but if you are not happy with the doctor in Chicago, look for another one in the area. Bad surgeons are everywhere, they are not just limited to one Country.

Good Luck.

Robyn

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Stacy_WLS
on 11/17/13 12:58 pm

Robyn,

Wow, what an experience.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm meeting with my surgeon in Chicago tomorrow morning.  I hope everything goes smoothly.

Stacy

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/13 10:44 am - WI

My surgery is on 12/3/2013 and my husband works for the Medical College here in Wisconsin. Dr. James Wallace is my surgeon and he is one of the top weight loss surgeons in the US. However, I was going to Mexico and my family had a fit about it, so I caved and decided to do it their way. But like the others said, it is your decision, you know what your comfortable with and not comfortable with. I am comfortable with my surgeon and trust him completely. But I wanted the Sleeve and he would only do the RNY, because of my severe acid reflux. Good Luck with everything!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 311 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 496 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1094 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1668 views