How to choose?!

rdy2lose
on 12/30/15 7:13 am

I'm planning to be sleeved in early May 2016. I'm researching doctors in Mexico, I have no insurance and cannot afford self pay in the US. How do you choose which doctor? I've been reading blogs and forums and such but everyone seems to be equally trusted and "good". What questions did you ask when interviewing the doc or facility? I don't know where to even start.

Thanks!!

Sandra F.
on 12/31/15 8:08 am

I had my surgery in Mexico in October 2014 and had the same dilemma before choosing.  It is hard to know who to trust, especially on blogs and sites like this.  I asked MANY questions of different coordinators in order to try and figure out which surgeon was best for me.  Here is a list of my questions:

1. How many patients of Dr. __________ have had a leak or complication with the gastric sleeve?
    2. Has Dr. __________ had a patient die?
    3. How many patients have had infections post surgery?
    4. Do they do a line of sutures behind the staples?
    5. What kinds of leak tests do they do?
    6. Do we get a video of the surgery, leak tests, and all medical records when we leave? In english?
    7. How many surgeries do they perform a day?
    8. Does the hospital where the surgery will be performed have a trauma center/icu and a blood bank?
    9. How many beds in the hospital?
    10. What kind of oversight is done when staying in the hotel post hospital?
    11. Private rooms?
    12. Room for traveling companion?
    13. Full time - around the clock medical staff in hospital?
    14. Do you require a deposit of money before the surgery. If so, how much?
    15. How much for hernia repair, if necessary?
    16. How many patients have to have a hernia repair?

I also searched for the doctor that I chose in many search terms and many different search engines to see if I could find ANYTHING negative about him, which I did not.  In fact, I found many positive reviews and I figured that all of them could not be fake, so I did it and am better off for it.  Let me know if you want info on my particular surgeon.  I know it is hard to trust people online but I can assure you that I am a regular person who lives in the US and had surgery in Mexico.  Good luck to you.

mystique83
on 1/5/16 11:07 am

hi Sandra which surgeon did you decide to go too?

ojosverdes86
on 12/31/15 1:10 pm

I had to do a lot of research before I just jumped up and decided that I was going to make a big change in my life health wise I mean. I decided that Dr. Quinones was the best for me because I liked that he he is proctor from Johnson and Johnson and that he had 4 years of training as a trauma surgeon. He was chef of general at Tijuana General. He is a siting member of arbitration committee. Has done surgical residence in the U.S.. And that he also teaches other doctors to do bariatrical surgery.
To me all that really caught my eye and made me fill that he really knows what he is doing.
I also feel that I was right because he did a great job on me I could not of ask for more. even the in-cessions are really little and they are healing really good. I hope that this can help a little, or so you can get a idea where to start..

rdy2lose
on 12/31/15 9:10 pm

Thank you so much! This helps a lot :)

ojosverdes86
on 1/1/16 12:55 pm

I hope that this can give you a idea where to start if you need anything eles you can just let me know and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Good luck on your choice their are good doctors in Mexico.

But to me it was importin that my doctor had all that he had and that he has also done surgery in the U.S. to me that made me think and know that he was a good doctor in general.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 322 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 504 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1098 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1674 views