WLS in 3 weeks, 2 days

TD1808
on 1/4/16 6:13 am
VSG on 01/28/16

WLS in 3 weeks, 2 days - and I'm scared to death! I have been waiting for this 25+ years, always a struggle with my stupid weight. Job after job I went looking for the insurance plan which would even consider this surgery and never have I found one (across 3 states, mind you) which accepted it. Now, here I am, with WLS scheduled, and I'm feeling like the dog who chases his tail and finally catches it; he doesn't know what to do with it.

I've already made peace with my maker, I think, in case things go wrong and I become an unfortunate statistic. I guess that's the only thing I'm worried about. Isn't that a horrible thing to think about? I think about it though. 

I believe I could tolerate the pain without issue, though I believe there will be more pain than people have been saying. Maybe it won't be, but I'm prepared either way. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain anyway.

I'm worried about the psychological, not being able to eat for comfort anymore, but I'm sure I'll get over that with a bit of crying :). So I'm just flipping out a little inside... but this is as good as done. Flight is paid for, down payment is paid for. I'm about to get the cashier's check for the rest and the loan ppw is completed. 

Now... we wait. Nervously.

hollykim
on 1/6/16 9:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 4, 2016 at 2:13 PM Pacific Time, TD1808 wrote:

WLS in 3 weeks, 2 days - and I'm scared to death! I have been waiting for this 25+ years, always a struggle with my stupid weight. Job after job I went looking for the insurance plan which would even consider this surgery and never have I found one (across 3 states, mind you) which accepted it. Now, here I am, with WLS scheduled, and I'm feeling like the dog who chases his tail and finally catches it; he doesn't know what to do with it.

I've already made peace with my maker, I think, in case things go wrong and I become an unfortunate statistic. I guess that's the only thing I'm worried about. Isn't that a horrible thing to think about? I think about it though. 

I believe I could tolerate the pain without issue, though I believe there will be more pain than people have been saying. Maybe it won't be, but I'm prepared either way. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain anyway.

I'm worried about the psychological, not being able to eat for comfort anymore, but I'm sure I'll get over that with a bit of crying :). So I'm just flipping out a little inside... but this is as good as done. Flight is paid for, down payment is paid for. I'm about to get the cashier's check for the rest and the loan ppw is completed. 

Now... we wait. Nervously.

you are going to be fine and happy with the results. Pain will be well managed. I have had  3 wls on mx plus dental implants and a huge round of plastic surgery and I have lived to tell about them all. 

lindsayraec323
on 1/6/16 7:42 pm
VSG on 02/05/16

Your post is funny to me because I could have written the same thing about myself.  Scheduled February 5th.  I'm so scared and excited.  I'm worried about my tendancy to have bad luck, but screw it. What day and where is your procedure going to be?  I look at pictures of people who look great, and cant wait until that's me! Still I'm scared to death. 

Sandra F.
on 1/7/16 5:59 am

I think you echo the feelings of just about everyone that has gone through WLS.  Everyone has doubts and fears but everything will be okay and you will not regret your decision (well maybe at first you might as the first month is no picnic but later it will get better).  Good luck to you!

TD1808
on 1/7/16 6:07 am
VSG on 01/28/16

So first - HollyKim - I had to laugh when I read your post because you put it in such perspective :) I guess I do worry too much. 

lindsayraec323 - I'm glad I'm not alone in how I feel. I have terrible luck at times too - mostly with anesthesia. I'm so scared it won't take properly since I've had issue with it before. And of course its Mexico - you can't drink the water yet I'm having surgery there? lol... But apparently medical tourism is a big thing and millions of people go there for that. I'll update you since you'll have surgery about 2 weeks after me, if you want :)

Sandra F. Thanks for the encouragement. If I can peek one eye open after I wake up from surgery and realize I'm okay - from then on I won't regret it. :) I just wanna make it to that point.  I'll be working 3 days after surgery (work from home computer job) so I'm sure I'll be hating life for a month like you said. And I'll miss the foods and sodas. and Redbull. I'll miss the redbull lol. 

It doesn't help that my mother think's im crazy and flips out first!@!!  Trying to calm down lol... 

Thanks for responding everyone! 

lindsayraec323
on 1/7/16 5:57 pm
VSG on 02/05/16

Can't wait to hear from you after wards, but the other ladies are right.  Its going to be fine...then we can go back for a tummy tuck? .  My mom is going with me.  She is very supporive .  I guess she sees my struggle.  I thought that she would try to talk me out of it.  She didn't actually want to go with me.  She is scared of going period, but I'm glad she agreed to go with me.  I hope your mom comes around to the idea.

TD1808
on 1/9/16 4:46 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

My mom is scared of the world and everything in it. If it doesn't fit in her tight knit republican ideas of what safety and propriety are, then she will naysay everything. I'm used to it after 40 years of it. I'm just surprised she agreed to board a plane (don't forget, the terrorists are out to get her) and come to florida to watch my son for 3 days. He's 8, so it's not exactly that difficult, but she agreed and I'm grateful for that. 

Tummy tucks sound fabulous. How much are those starting? Is anyone financing you? I doubt I'll have the luxury of getting that done, but I said the same thing about weight loss surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 5:54 am

Well, let me tell you I'm in the same situation or even worse. I just feel like I'm ok with my weight and I don't need wls. It's a joke, of course. I'm also confused, frightened, scared.. I planned the surgery in 3 weeks and a day, but I feel like there's a loooooong way till then. All in all, my insurance didn't cover the surgery as much as I tried to fix it. My BMI is around 52 and getting insurance in the United States to pay for weight loss surgery depended on the employer, so.. Anyway, I've made a research in order to learn about medical tourism because it was my only hope. So for bariatric surgery in the US I would have paid between $17,000 and $35,000. In Mexico, the same procedures cost between $5,500 to $12,500. Well, it's a difference. That was the point when I contacted Placidway and they found for me some packages in Mexico.

So here I am, thinking of travelling abroad to have the most intense experience in my life. I really hope everything will be fine and we'll reach our desired goals.. Good luck, my friend! Come back and share the experience, can't wait!

TD1808
on 1/20/16 8:34 am
VSG on 01/28/16

Thanks so much for posting! I will definitely come back and post everything! I'll also be blogging at theobesityblog.com (my website) with more info, pictures, you name it. This is a viable resource people should know about. And btw, that 3 weeks goes by a lot faster than you think :) I have a week left, exactly - and its like OMG... already??? :) can't wait to see ya'll on the flip side!!! Losers bench for everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 322 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 504 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1098 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1672 views