Dr. Armando Joya recently

vickinicole
on 3/11/18 4:54 pm - Bryan, TX

I am saving for surgery in Mexico and interested in RNY through Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta

The rate I was quoted by his staff is very good and includes everything except the plane ticket

I've looked on here for info/reviews about him and there are some but they are a few years old

Has anyone had surgery with him recently? Can you describe the process?

The one thing I'm confused about is how do you pay if you're from the US and have USD funds?

Do I carry thousands of dollars with me? DO I have to get a bank check or can I pay with my Debit card.

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

Kathy S.
on 3/12/18 2:50 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi vickinicole,

Congratulations on saying enough is enough and taking control of your health Here is the link to Dr. Joya's review page. You may have already viewed it.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-armando-joya/reviews?page=3&sort=helpful_count&filter=patients

Each surgeon handles payment differently. It's usually a wire transfer. We have a call into Dr. Joya's office for you to find out how they handle payment.

Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

vickinicole
on 3/12/18 4:18 pm, edited 3/12/18 9:28 am - Bryan, TX

Hi, thank you. Yes I have seen Dr. Joya review page on here and the reviews are several years old. I would like to see some from patients within the last 6 months. Several things may have changed such as the hospital he uses, some people say they used Gerald but the info I received is they don't work with him anymore so I want updated information.

A wire transfer concerns me, do I send them all the money before I arrive? What if something happens at the airport etc.. and I am unable to enter Mexico? Do they refund my money? How can I be assured of that?

~_~
Vicki

Bonnie M
on 10/15/18 10:45 am - Sioux Falls, SD

I had him a number of years ago for a revision. all was great, but I think it was Gerald that contacted me a year later and said he wasn't working with Dr Joya anymore.

MarinaGirl
on 3/12/18 4:42 pm, edited 3/12/18 9:43 am

I had WLS surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. I paid for most of it in cash, in country, prior to surgery. If I recall, I used my credit card for the surgeon?s deposit and maybe some hospital incidentals when I checked out, but cash saved me money as credit or debit cards often have extra fees because of Visa/MasterCard merchant charges, which are usually passed on to patients.

I was in So Cal, took the train to San Diego, where I was picked up by my surgeon's driver, so I didn't have to carry around all that cash very long.

YMMV

vickinicole
on 3/12/18 4:56 pm, edited 3/12/18 10:20 am - Bryan, TX

I have to fly from Texas to Puerto Vallarta, and there are several stops. I don't know what customs require. Carrying over $500 cash concerns me because it can be stolen or lost. Even just laying my bag on the turnstile at the airport worries me, if someone picks up the wrong bag, etc..

I guess I would prefer to pay with my debit card, at the hospital when I check in.

~_~
Vicki

MarinaGirl
on 3/12/18 9:06 pm

I wore a secure money belt under my clothes, which minimized the risk of putting a purse/bag down and having it stolen or misplaced.

Bonnie M
on 10/15/18 10:49 am - Sioux Falls, SD

I might have done a bank transfer ahead of time. I did carry over $9000 cash on me to Brazil for plastic surgery. It was in a money belt I wore at all times. I asked for private screening. I think you could carry $10,000 US cash then, you'll have to check current rules.

shunt1960
on 3/21/18 4:29 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

I had surgery with Dr. Joya in 2010. Not recent. But he was truly amazing. I highly recommend him. Him and his staff were terrific. The hospital was cleaner than most in the state. I flew from Michigan to Puerto Vallarta and stayed a week. I was able to pay with a credit card. Just email them and ask.

I think I had to pay a bit extra for the conversion of funds. It wasn't much.

You won't be disappointed with him.

Bonnie M
on 6/26/18 7:03 am - Sioux Falls, SD

I went to Dr Joya twice for revisions. The first one didn't do anything, the 2nd (I think he did a BOB) was a success. He was professional and spent time with me. Gerald was great and answered all my pre and post questions, but something happened between the relationship with he and Dr Joya's team and they aren't together anymore. That was a while ago, so maybe something has changed.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 277 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 461 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1070 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1636 views