Trouble with surgery in Mexico

vickinicole
on 4/3/18 8:59 pm - Bryan, TX

My friend in Arizona just texted me that "News 15 is talking about weight loss surgery that people are getting in Mexico and coming back to United States having severe complications. Nothing is regulated in Mexico. What they post to the public is misleading in Mexico so you can't really go by what you read. And they say the doctors are not surgeons"

How do I check to see if my Mexico surgeon is actually a surgeon with the experience he says he has?

What do they mean that nothing is regulated in Mexico?

I've checked his reviews, they are good but old. Where can I see negative reviews or recent reviews?

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

JenCMomof5
on 4/4/18 9:33 am

I had my surgery in Mexico, I did ALOT of research first because I like many others was extremely skeptical! I found out my doctor studied in California and had several specialties related to weight loss surgery. I went to meetings where people were there to share their experiences in Mexico. I really took time to check on things. It is TOTALLY different then out here but you can not believe everything you hear from the news. There will ALWAYS be back alley type places EVERYWHERE! The place I had my surgery looked like a normal doctors office out front, then in the back a high tech ER like surgical room. My recovery room was little but suitable and there were only 3 rooms in the place. Again, not like a hospital here but great care nevertheless. I have been complimented on my scar from day one, No one can believe it looked as good as it did considering I had surgery in the "forbidden" Mexico. To this day I would do it all over again! I had my docs cell phone number and he answered EVERY TIME I called after hours! He was great! Do your research, and be safe! Any questions please feel free to ask away! I had a lot of help before my surgery and I'd like to pay it forward!

Jen

cmoscool
on 4/17/18 2:02 pm - BROOKHAVEN, MS

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to congratulate you on your surgery first of all. I would also like to know which type of surgery you had and possibly the name of the surgeon that did it. I am really serious about it. Please let me know how you would like to communicate if you do not mind.

Chris

southernlady33
on 4/18/18 11:10 am

In Mexico the medical industry is not regulated the way it is in the United States. The are not governed by as strict of rules and regulations as we are here in the US. For example they reuse surgical instruments that are meant to be disposed of. This would never happen in the US. The big kicker is that after surgery if you have a complication there are no surgeons here that will want to care for you. You will be stuck with some doctor in the ER that is not a bariatric surgeon and is not specialized to care for you. There is no follow up after surgery and we all know that follow up is the most important part of the entire process. You had surgery in Mexico and your surgeon remains in Mexico so which surgeon do you go to for follow up appointments? Which dietitian do you see for your much needed instruction for all of the months to come? Not a smart move. Cheap yes. Smart no.

hollykim
on 4/18/18 11:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 18, 2018 at 6:10 PM Pacific Time, southernlady33 wrote:

In Mexico the medical industry is not regulated the way it is in the United States. The are not governed by as strict of rules and regulations as we are here in the US. For example they reuse surgical instruments that are meant to be disposed of. This would never happen in the US. The big kicker is that after surgery if you have a complication there are no surgeons here that will want to care for you. You will be stuck with some doctor in the ER that is not a bariatric surgeon and is not specialized to care for you. There is no follow up after surgery and we all know that follow up is the most important part of the entire process. You had surgery in Mexico and your surgeon remains in Mexico so which surgeon do you go to for follow up appointments? Which dietitian do you see for your much needed instruction for all of the months to come? Not a smart move. Cheap yes. Smart no.

do you have any links to back up your claims? If so, please post them.

have you had surgery in MX? Have you even been to MX?

You are wrong by the way. Follow up care is important But not by any means the most important. Most important is what and how much we put in our mouths.

I have had surgery in MX and can assure you that you are totally wrong.

So, I am waiting on those links from you.

MarinaGirl
on 4/20/18 6:58 pm

This response is full of inaccuracies about medicine in Mexico. Please do not fall for this poster's fear mongering.

jrolfson2000
on 5/10/19 1:54 pm

Southernlady33...

What you are claiming is entirely untrue. Have you been to Mexico for surgery? If not, you should probably say nothing about what you don't know. Do you even know anyone who has gone to Mexico. Yes, there are those horror stories out there but don't you realize we have those stories right here in the US also. We do have different regulations but what we don't understand about Mexico is they have been doing these surgeries even before us, because they aren't regulated like us so they started this way before us. They have double the amount of surgeries under their belts than US Drs. do. There are some things to watch out for as you would watch here when looking for a Surgery. Most important are statistics. Many of the Mexican Drs. have taught many of our US Drs. It is true that when you go to Mexico and aren't planning on staying for the after care you could have an issue on finding a Bariatric Surgeon here that wants to treat someone else's surgery. But saying that you can't find a doctor to do so, is false, and most times if that should happen and it can and does with Mexican, America, English, European drs. you will most likely be covered at that point by your own insurance that won't cover weight loss surgery here.

I know many people probably (10) who have been to Mexico in every case they had great experiences and outcomes, also they often claim it was like a day spa atmosphere, clean, orderly, friendly and many of those have great and long associations with their Surgeons and staff way beyond the warranty period of their surgeries. I'm not sure you understand that you do have a warranty with your surgery in Mexico just like in the states. But most people leave and don't return so it's kind of hard for a Surgeon to fix what they can't fix if your not there for them to do so. Surgery is a gamble, there are % chances of problems. Mexico gets a bad wrap and I'm seriously sick of it. There are those low rent places that will seriously try to do surgery on anyone for anything in other countries but for the most part these WL Clinics are on the up and up and have excellent follow up and post op care, that is if you stay for it, it is critical. So if you want that you should stay day there for 30 days post surgery, end of story.

GonzskaHeather
on 5/11/18 12:45 pm
VSG on 10/04/17

Hi Viky!!!!

Medical Tourism as many things in life is full of myths and lies. I can understand why you are worry about it, when i decide to have a bariatric surgery and start looking for options in US i get more depress just to see that i was unable to pay for change my health status. Then a friend of a friend upload some old pictures on his profile and mentioned something about a surgeon in tijuana that make that possible. I ask him about that and start my research ..... my family and close friends turn totally crazy .....HOW CAN YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT? it´s Mexico - that was what they told me.

And i make more specific research about it..... my surgeon have a lot of credencials, noy only mexican ones also US degrees, it´s member of the most important associations in US, Mexico, Latin America and part of a select group in Spain.

I read about what kind of hospitals or clinics he used to make surgeries and they also are certified. So, i went to Tijuana alone cause everybody around me was so negative about my desicion now i think i should took them with me to Tijuana that way they can prove by them selfs all the lies and myths about MEXICO HEALTH SYSTEM.

Everybody was WONDERFUL, facilities where clean and high quality. I can tell now that i received a better service than the one i´ve received here in the US and for much less money. You can check my review in my surgeons profile DR JAIME RAMOS KELLY

ngeorge
on 6/27/18 9:10 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 01/30/18

I had surgery on 1/30/18 at Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana. My doctor was Dr. Louisa Valenzuela. I had previously spoken to a surgeon in the U.S. and comparing their bedside manner, Dr. Valenzuela wins that one hands down. I, too, was a little nervous about going to Mexico for surgery.....best thing I ever did. The care was excellent. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I would go back to Mexico every time. It was a great experience for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 277 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 461 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1070 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1636 views