OK, It's official

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/30/11 8:05 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I have an appointment with a personal trainer at the Y next Wednesday after my aquasize class. So - I need to find proper shoes before then (I HATE shoe shopping) and some capri length yoga pants, since I expect to be doing some sweating.

The plan is to have her set up a program of resistance training that will help me build some muscle and take off some inches. If the doctors are right I may be stuck with this weight, but I'm sure not going to be stuck with this flab.

The challenge - I can't grip with my left hand, so no free weights. They have lots of machines though, so I'm sure she can figure something out. On the positive side of the ledger, I'm down 45# and am hugely stronger and fitter than I was a year ago - I'm ready for this!

Have any of you had good results with weight/resistance training? I have these scary batflaps and am hoping building some muscle will help somewhat. Also, since the Drs have promised to book me for panni removal in 6 months, I want to replace as much flab with muscle as I possibly can between now and then so the operation will give me maximum benefit.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

chellelynn3
on 6/1/11 1:53 am, edited 6/1/11 1:53 am - san bernardino, CA
Good for you Kelly-Anne! let us know how it's coming along!

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

tbl2008
on 6/1/11 3:24 am - Greenville, NC
It's Wednesday and I can't wait to hear your update! I'm so jealous that you have a PT (personal trainer). That is freakin awesome! Please tell us everything.

I had a personal trainer when I FIRST started losing weight the first time I ever tried in 2007. She was great. I learned TONS about working out and what I needed to do. I would suggest you go home and write down everything the PT tells you. Although some people do, you don't have to work with a PT forever. Once you get the basics down, you can implement it for a lifetime. I still use the basics of the workout my PT gave me back in 2007.

How long have you been on a plateau? There is a great book out there about the topic that I'm reading. It's written by a MD that specializes in this topic. Basically, what you are going through is normal and don't be too hard on yourself. I have a cousin that had WLS and is now in the plastic surgery phase. I can tell you the PS has changed her life for the better just as much as the weight loss has. As long as the docs say you are healthy enough to have surgery then I say Congrats to you for wanting to make a positive change in your life!!!
285/204/199 starting/current/goal weight
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/4/11 10:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My appointment with the trainer is this coming Wednesday at 10:30 and I still need to buy shoes... I plan to tell her I want to work on my abdomen and general muscle building rather than anything aerobic, since I expect to continue with aquasize, riding my bike and walking my dog.

I say my abdomen not because I expect to lose fat there, but because it sticks out (slack muscles?) and by flattening it somewhat I'll get a better result when they remove my pannus. I MAY go full tummy tuck, depending on how much the renos we have to do this summer cost. The pannus is covered under Alberta Health, but if I want a TT I have to pay the difference - about $6000. They'll also pay for a breast reduction, but not arms. Sad, because although a good bra would pretty much solve any issues I have with my breasts, my arms are scary.

My weight loss stopped dead just after the Dr said it was about to. sigh... Tell me about the book you're reading?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

tbl2008
on 6/9/11 5:05 am - Greenville, NC
Here is the link to the book on amazon. It's been a good tool for me so far. It talks about losing slowly and working through the plateau as they come and go.

One thing about his book is he really stresses losing weight very slowly over months and months. Then once you hit the plateau he recommends staying there for up to 6 months. It allows your body to become accustom to being at that weight. Then you go back to eating a bit less and increasing workouts until you lose the next 10% of your body weight. When you lose the next 10% then the body needs time to 'hang out' at that size for a few months. I hope that makes sense!

I'm still reading the book, but so much of it just 'feels' right for me and my journey to lose the next 90 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Break-Through-Your-Set-Point/dp/0061288675

285/204/199 starting/current/goal weight
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 356 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 480 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 688 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 904 views