Hump Day Weigh-In - Sept 26

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 12:25 am - Canada
It's that time of the week already! No change in weight for me this week.

LW = 178
TW = 178

How is everyone doing this week so far?

I can't recall if I shared this with you since last Wednesday's weigh in at WMC. The main reason I went to WMC this time was to get WLS. I was encouraged to try the Optifast program instead to avoid surgery. One of my goals while doing this was to "disqualify" myself by getting my BMI below 35.

DONE! My BMI is currently 34.8 and Dr. Wicklum said the words, "I am disqualifying you from surgery." Doing the happy dance! (and celebrated on the weekend with 2 bottles of Molson 67 Sublime...quite good for 67 calories).

Tammy
DebColCam
on 9/26/12 1:57 am - Canada
Congrats Tammy! I had a good week too. Hurt my back so not much exercise for me. My blood sugars are excellent, since adding the crap cereal to my diet. My goal was to lose 5 lbs in Sept. Here's how my numbers look.

End of August. 249.2
Last wk 246.4
This wk 245.2
Total weight lost 4lbs very happy!
Next goal under 245
239 by Halloween!
Thank you all for your kind words and support.
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 3:56 am - Canada
Good work, Deb. Congrats on your loss this week...and super news that your blood sugars are under control.

That crap cereal is really good...I'm still on my first bag...it really lasts. I can only imagine how long it will last when I make my own like you are!

Tammy 
Big_blue_eyes
on 9/26/12 11:00 am - Canada
Congrats to both of you. Tammy it's great that you reached your first goal.  Deb it's quite the accomplishment to get your blood sugar under control.   My week didn't go so well, I was up .8 but my RA has flared up which means I hang on to water so it wasn't that much of a surpise.  I was also out for dinner on Friday (with wine) and Sunday lunch.  So I think I did well because it could have gone terribly wrong,

We have our last class together on Tuesday and we've decided to have a healthy potluck.  Everyone has to bring a healthy dish (reasonable amount of calories) and the recipe.  Our dietician will make copies of the recipes for everyone.  I'm making a turkey, sweet potato and cranberry stew that is done in the crockpot.

It's kind of scary thinking that we will be on our own.  There are 4 of us that have decided we will get together for coffee after the weigh-ins just to talk and keep things on track.  I also talked to the dr and because I have so much to lose to get to goal he suggested that if I can continue to lose that after 3 months I can do another 12 weeks of shakes.  I would still qualify for WLS but I don't think that is an option I would want to take.  I've met too many people who have had it and then managed to put the weight back on.  So after Christmas I may do the shakes again.  I wouldn't have to go to class but I would have to get weighed every week and I would have access the the dr, the ot, the dietician and the social  worker.  I think I probably will do it.

Hope you all have a great week,  I've managed to get back on track.  I now keep 2 1.5 litre bottles of water in the fridge and make sure I finish them by the end of the day.

Winifred
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 11:34 am, edited 9/26/12 11:34 am - Canada
Hi Win,

I think you had a good week. Going out for 2 meals to restaurants and having wine will happen. And going up less than a pound is pretty good all things considered. I hope your RA settles down so you can get rid of any excess fluid. (My guess is you probably had a weight loss but sodium in the restaurant food is what has you bloated).

I like that you have some supportive people from your class there to support each other. Do you not have classes once you are done your shakes and back on food?

Have a great week as well.

Tammy
Big_blue_eyes
on 9/26/12 12:14 pm - Canada
We did have classes as we cut back on the shakes but next Tuesday we hit week 19.  We then have to go every week for 7 weeks to get weighed.  Then it's once a month for 6 months.  We can make appointments to see any of the staff at any time if we need to.

I see the Rhuematologist on Monday and I'm hoping he'll change some of my meds to stop the flair-ups.  I've tried to use the time since the shake to monitor which foods I'm eating to see if they cause a reaction.  I've found a couple such as tomatoes, grapefruits and banans, so now I stay away from them.

How far along are you, in terms of your clases?

Winifred
DebColCam
on 9/26/12 12:39 pm - Canada
Hi Win, it looks like you had a very good week too. Given your RA pain and eating out I agree you prob had a loss. I too deal with chronic pain. Currently dealing with sciatica and live with fibromyalgia. When my pain flares or I am on pain meds like now I tend to hold onto weight too. I also decided against WLS for a number of reason and Opti program not an option for me. Nearest clinc is over 2 hrs away. And we don't own a car. I find the OH forum really helpful! I have had a great month even though there is just a few here to share, I feel supported. And recipes have been helpful. Please stay with us and keep posting. I would love to see this board a little more active. Congrats again on another good week. Hope you get your RA pain under control. Deb
Big_blue_eyes
on 9/26/12 1:29 pm - Canada
I understand the pain flares, it's hard to even think about exercise when it happens.  It's too bad that they can't do the optfast program online using skype I think a lot of people could benefit from it.  I know that some people use the shakes from Costco  with a little food to match the nutrition from the optifast or as an alternative.

Winifred
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 10:42 pm - Canada
We just hit week 23. We still have the weekly weigh-ins and classes until week 26. Then we have 6 sessions between week 27 and full year mark. If we want to attend more (if we feel we need the support) then we can purchase additional sessions. Like you, we can make appointments to see the doctor or dietititan if required.

Good luck at rheumatologist on Monday. It's good that you've identified foods that cause flare-ups...I'm sure that will be helpful to both you and doctor. (Tracking and journaling really do work. Are you using My Fitness Pal?)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 361 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 488 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 693 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 910 views