I have to ask this question...difficulty with prescription

Reenie2013
on 1/4/13 10:01 am

I don't want to have surgery at the moment and I wonder why it is so difficult to get doctors to prescribe any dietary pills first? I think I am a good candidate for this. In fact I think this may work to help me along with nutrition and exercise. But when I mention getting pills doctors make me feel like I have a problem...and boy does that make me angry.  I'm not a drug addict or anything like that I just think with everything I have read these may be just what I need to jump start my weight loss. Why make these pills if they cannot be used? Interesting that surgery has been offered but not this non-invasive help.  Any suggestions or  comments are welcome.

DebColCam
on 1/4/13 12:56 pm - Canada
Hi Reenie. Welcome to the non surgical forum. I am not sure where you are from. I am in Ontario Canada. Here to my knowledge there is only one prescription medication approved for weight loss. It is called Zenical or generic name is Orlistat. I talked to my PCP about this option before. But she didn't think it would be a good option for me. Used to absorb less fat from foods and is excreted by bowel movements. Can cause oily movements and accidents it requires the dieter to eat less fat. I have had my share of bowel problems so we didn't think it was my best option. I always wheat/carb intolerant. I have my best success following a low carb plan and exercising. My weight loss is really slow and often stalls if I can't abstain from the carbs. I am currently weighing 250 ish but my high weight was 299 in 2007. I considered WLS too but decided
Against it, even though it is the most popular and paid for treatment in Ontario. I feel that there are too many risks of future complications and far too many restrictions. I just coulnt do it. The surgery would treat what's in between my ears either lol. Weight loss is a
Mind trip all by itself. I am fairly happy with what I have accomplished and plan in continuing to make healthy food choices and exercise regularly. I really hope you can find something that works for you. This board is quiet but a few of us post. I still read the surgical forums because I know the Ontario one shares get tips about eating plans recipes. I also like to read the success stories. I also get reminded about the difficulties and sometimes tragedies of people who have chosen the surgical approach. Keep checking in with us and again welcome to the forum.
Supergirl7877
on 1/5/13 12:18 am
Hi and welcome!!!

This is an interesting question. I never explored pills so my research is limited. I believe most pills are meant for short term use. I would think helping you get started would be a good use. Maybe they cause more harm than good?? I just don't know. Was there a particular pill you wanted?

It is interesting that surgery is "pushed" and pills are seemingly off limits.
clepetark
on 1/15/13 4:30 pm, edited 1/15/13 4:31 pm

I had asked the same question to my doctor who explained me , that the severe side effects were just not worth it , that it was better for me to concentrate my efforts and energy to  live healthy ... i have a slow metabolisms and a am not losing weight with a 1200 calories a day diet with less that 100 carbs .... when the Canadian guide recommend to a normal weight person to eat 300 ... any way ... to lose weight i have to burn by exercising 80 of the 100 i eat everyday ... then the rest if my nutrition goes for my basal needs .... when i should need 2900 calories a day according to my weight for my basal and eat a way under .... i felt misunderstood a long time , but resign myself to fight the battle an no one else will do it for me if i want to be in peace with myself !

Reenie2013
on 1/15/13 8:50 pm

thanks for your input...I do truly appreciate it! I guess it will be the same for me. I don't necessarily buy what my doctor says either.. But I think I will listen to your advice. wink

Have a good one and again thanks for your suggestions.

clepetark
on 1/16/13 4:51 pm

your welcome , i know this way work nice i did it my husband did it and we both lost weight. We were never hungry , and it is coming a life style at one point , and when your done losing just had 25 g of carbs a day until you stop losing , ex 125 for a week , when you weigh yourself you still lose , well try to 150 . Me at 150 i was maintaining myself , the other way is to reduce the training as well but being active is a part of being healthy and 80 carbs , i was burning this within 30 minutes of eleptique ... level 7 or 8 which is i guess more than easy to continue. Now following a pregnancy i will start back this system again as I gained a lot of weight ... i gaining average 100 pounds per pregnancy ... i have 3  kids so I start to get use to losing weight ! Don't get upset if you gain weight  at first as you will built muscles ... then you will shred down ! on a regular pace , you will be very proud and keep your motivation will be easy with these result. Do not look the calories , low calories diets are known to fail , cut the carbs , your body will then turn the fat you eat first in energy source then will get the reserve out !

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 355 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 479 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 687 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 903 views