How did you do it- lose your weight NS or without revision?

jzwife
on 1/31/13 10:41 am

I am looking into having a revision. In 2006 I had a RNY. I lost about 50lbs then stopped losing. I eventually found out thatI had developed a fistula- the stomach manages to reattach itself. it was if I had never had the surgery done. I was so disappointed.I have done all the tests and even scheduled to have a revision done in March. I had surgery for breast cancer in Dec. and honestly my immune system is pretty low. I don't think my body is up to a 5 hour surgery right now. I am not sure if this is the route I should go or not. Something inside of me tells me I can do this on my own so even thos I am looking all options I am trying to make the wisest decision fro me

-my question to all of you is this:

What have you done to lose your weight? What has helped you to be successful  on this journey without the WLS? I am looking for answers that may help me and prevent me from having to go thru this all over again.I believe nothing is set in stone.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Sharon

Supergirl7877
on 1/31/13 11:19 am

Hi there!  On the next page I have a post called "my stQ". Why, I don't know, a wonderful typo.  

In a nutshell:

i used walking on my treadmill and intake modification for 70lbsish and then I got a body bugg and tracked all intake and output...I in 7 years (including a pregnancy with a 60lb gain) I have gone from 300 to 145 on the scale this morning.  I loved my body bugg and learned so much about me, my intake habits and my calorie burn.  I wore it for 18 months...I unplugged last July and have maintained well since.

Hope that helps!!!   Please ask any questions you might have!

jzwife
on 1/31/13 11:32 am

I read your story that you had posted. You are a great inspiration. thank you for sharing. I am going to google body bugg as I don't know what it is or where to get it. Congragulations on all the weight loss and surgery. That is awesome!angry

Supergirl7877
on 1/31/13 11:42 am

Awe thanks!  There are a few other calorie counters on the market....I was going to purchase a bracelet by Nike for my husband and just use my fitness pal for intake monitoring.  Body bugg has a monthly access fee....one downside.  If you do track or monitor count every single bite.....I learned tha t I was taking in tons of calories a day thinking I never ate!

JulieS.
on 1/31/13 10:42 pm - KS

Hi Sharon,

What's worked very well for me in the past (and now, I'm unfortunately having to re-do due to several physical and emotional challenges) is the following:

1. A minimum of 80-100 oz of water each day

2. An accurate journal where all calories in (listing the specific foods), calories out (listing the type of exercise), and water intake are recorded . . . I intentionally tend to overestimate calories in and underestimate calories out so I don't have any nasty surprises on the scale (oh, I also put scale readings in the journal)

3. Five evenly-spaced tiny meals each day of 300 or fewer calories (and never skipping breakfast) . . . plus, I visualize good food as fuel, never reward . . . and bad foods I try to visualize as a toxic drug, as if I was a heroin or meth addict craving them

4. A minimum of one hour of cardio every day (I treadmill with hand weights, doing arm exercises the whole time since I have floppy arms) . . . I increase this as I approach a normal BMI and weight loss slows

5. Surrounding myself with supportive and motivational people, books, and programs . . . and learning not to let the past sabotage the future, meaning that if you "slip," you simply acknowledge what you did and move on, not letting guilt or shame or any other negative emotion lead to a binge of slips . . . a 5# mistake is infinitely easier to deal with than a 50# one or a 150# one

So basically, you can eat small, frequent mini meals as if your pouch was working (protein first, followed by healthy fruits and vegetables, and nonfat/low-fat dairy if you're not lactose intolerant) while you regain your health and build your immune system through a healthy diet and exercise. Then, once you're feeling strong again, you can look at how you've been managing and then decide whether to have your surgery revised or to continue on with what you've been doing.

Anyway, hope at least some of this might be helpful to you. Just keep in mind that when you look at what works for everyone else, you will need to pick and choose the methods that will work for you personally. Your lifestyle. Your cir****tances. Your mindset.

Good luck, and I'd be glad to help in any way I could.

Julie

jzwife
on 2/1/13 1:23 am

Thank you for your posts. Very sage advise. I need to make my body get up on that treadmill and start working.. I've been trying to watch what I eat and make my old surgery work for me the best it can. I am very bad at drinking lots of water and know I need to boost my protein intake so i see lots of things I can improve on to make this work. I've had this nasty flu bug this past week so I'm still trying to get on top of things but I can still do some of this today.

Thanks again

Sharon

Redbird2448
on 5/28/13 10:51 am

I am currently trying 200 calories every three hours. Tha'ts 1200 a day.. So far, its great as I never get hungry.  Lots of 200 calorie dishes though google.  'Ill see how it goes.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/13 5:25 am
I take ACE to reduce my hunger and eliminate cravings. I do have to remind myself to eat by setting an alarm on my phone for meals/snacks. ACE also helps because I wan****er all day long!
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/13 5:26 am
I don't know why it **** out the words want and water?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 355 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 479 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 687 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 903 views