Had and failed 2 weight loss surgeries...

nicole u
on 10/27/15 9:04 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with

hello,

i wanted to share my story with you because surgery is not a guaranteed quick fix to weight loss. In 2004 I weighed 298. I had the lap-band. I lost 70 pounds but with lots of hard work. I never had that restriction people talk about. Fast forward to 2008 and the band slipped and I was unable to swallow water. Out comes the band via emergency surgery. 2 months later my surgeon performed gastric bypass. I thought I finally had my tool! WRONG!! Yet again I still never really felt full. I gave up shortly after and stayed around the 240 area for about 2 years. When I finally changed my eating and portion sizes in 2010 I saw the scale moving. I got down to 143 pounds. I couldn't believe it!! Me, under 200 pounds, even under 150! I was wearing size 6 or 8 pants depending on the store. I'm 5'8. I looked fabulous. Wore a bikini that summer!

Well that was short lived. Here we are in 2015 and last Monday the 19th I went to another surgeon to talk over options. Well I'm back to 229lbs. I want to cry. I did cry. But now I am determined like before to get this weight off. High protein is what I am aiming for. I also was introduced to an injection called lipotropic or lipo b. It burns fat, boosts metabolism and gives energy. I got my first shot on the 22 which was Thursday and I feel amazing! I also asked my dr to prescribe the appetite suppressant phentermine which is working like a charm.

What I'm trying to say is once you put your mind to it, you don't need the surgery. We are all strong enough to do it without going under the knife!

i wish you all luck! I need it as well....one day at a time!! I'll check in once in awhile and post my loss (hopefully!)

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

Zee Starrlite
on 10/29/15 9:57 am

Awww, sorry for your ups and downs Nicole. I too revised (VSG) and weight is difficult when you like food - we ALWAYS have to work on it! I am glad you are getting strong and back on your feet.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Supergirl7877
on 10/29/15 11:23 pm

Good luck!!! You got this. The secret is remaining consistent. ;)

Brandi Girl
on 12/9/15 8:57 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I agree surgery is not the answer to what we need! WE are in charge of what happens to our bodies. While surgery or other weight loss methods might help jump start our loss, in the end, it is up to us to take charge of what and how much we eat. Always has been and always will be.

Diva2
on 12/15/15 10:57 am - Zachary, LA

HOW  DID YOU ACQUIRE THE SHOT??

iloveme1st
on 3/8/16 2:11 pm - Hesperia, CA

I would like to know what is out there for anyone who has had the RNY if it fails? Most of the insurance companies will not pay for a revision surgery. So!! I am with you in this I have failed my tool and now I am going back to basics and I hope and pray that I can regain the use of my tool!!!

Pamela G.
on 3/10/16 6:27 am

Thankyou so much for sharing your story. I'm in the process heading towards roux n y surgery and the further I get in the program the more convinced I am that I don't need surgery. I really appreciate you sharing your struggles. Good luck with your weightloss

peggyann5
on 6/15/16 4:17 am
You sound just like me, I am about 4-5 months away from having VSG and the more stories I read the more I wonder if this is what I want. Good Luck. I have a friend who did lo carb and as of the last time I had seen her she was down 88 lbs and she started at 280 or so, she has held this for well over a year . We will be on lo carb after surgery so I don't know what to do but I still have a while .

sarahalpough
on 3/24/16 7:56 am

Hello Nicole:

I am new to this site.  I totally understand your frustration with the roller coaster you've been on for the past years.  June 22nd of this year will be 13yrs that I have had my Gastric Bypass surgery.  I am a 6'0 woman, before surgery I was 379lbs  WOW, however, because of my height no one would have ever thought I weighed that much.  My surgery was a great success, I lost 168lbs. which put me at my lowest weight of 211lbs, but when looking at me I really looked like I would be 180lb.  I knew that once the window of opportunity would close for the weight loss that I would have to really really work at keeping it off.  I exercised very much and even began officiating High School basketball which was a dream of mine the whole time that I was 379lbs.  (we all know there was no way I was going to be able to run up and down a basketball court at that weight  Lol Lol).   Well once I lost the weight I joined, and became a High School Official.  I must TOOT my own horn and say that I have become a great official and I've excelled in the High School Ranks very well.  My current weight is 240lbs. which is a regain of 29lbs in 13 years.  I never reached my Goal weight of 190lbs but all in all I have been ok with that.  My surgery has been a success even though I didn't reach my goal and even though I have gained 29 lbs.  However, at this point in my life I have decided to move on to College Officiating , but in that capaicity I am over weight for my taste.  Therefore, I have decided to have the Overstitch Procedure done which will make my stoma small again and my pouch will be made smaller again as well, I've researched this procedure and I realize it's a slow process and I will have to still continue to work hard at loosing the weight and eating healthy.  I love my tool that gastric bypass has provided me with for the last 13 yrs. and I am going to just reinforce it with is procedure.  I understand that you may feel that  we don't need surgery to loose weight , but for me it's a tool that has worked for me and I have to take care of it so it will continue to work for me.  My goal is to get down to my goal weight of 190lbs, so I MUST LOSE 50 LBS. in order to accomplish that.  My mind is dertermined to do it, I'm not depending on the revision to do it for me because I will surely fail if that's what I would be thinking, I am willing and ready to help my revision by putting the work in.  I will keep posting to keep you guys up with my journey.  Thanks for you time, and Good Luck with your weight loss journey....

InTheMiddle
on 4/29/16 4:10 pm

I had the band in about 8 years ago.  I just had it removed last Nov.  I had to have an unfill in 2010 and I kept the weight off for almost a year then BOOM it all came back.  I didn't change my eating or my exercise.  The doctors don't believe me.  It's hormones.  It has to be a hormone change.  There is no other explanation.  

I hate food.  I have such a hate for the stuff that makes me fat.  Now, no restriction, no wls, I still eat under 1000 calories because I HATE food.  Still, I'm up near 280. I'm looking into the sleeve.  I would do bypass if I didn't have genetic factors that make B12 an issue for me already.  Who am I kidding?  I haven't decided anything. 

I'm so frustrated.  I'm so scared to get another wls and fail.  I'm just so tired of being sick and tired. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 355 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 479 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 687 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 903 views