Things I'm learning

btm61
on 11/14/18 4:56 pm

Jenni, when taken in context wheat I said was that some people see WLS as a microwave solution, in other words they see it as a "lose weight fast plan". You will never see me saying that it is because I know different from the people that I interact with n a daily basis.

PrivateCitizen
on 12/23/18 3:58 am

how on earth can you drag in non related 'beliefs' and 'truths'?

You lose credibility because you say what YOU believe is best, and another who does not meet your belief system must be wrong in ALL things.

You are probably totally correct on the DEXA, but please, bringing in political beliefs, claims and prejudices is not about weight loss.

and the globe HAS been warming and cooling forever, specifically you mean "man made global warming"...and see, that is your opinion, you are probably aware that many do not agree on carbon ratios, or ocean heat, etc.

I learned something from what you said about DEXA, so mission accomplished.

Julia S.
on 11/14/18 1:20 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

That calculator is totally inaccurate. I've actually done the test where you breathe into the machine for 15 minutes and it came out to be much less than this calculator shows. They are promoting inaccurate information and if I did their recommended calorie intake I would be back at my starting weight in no time flat. I'm glad you've learned some things, but not nearly what most of the people on this forum know. I too had success before WLS I lost 90lbs and maintained it for over 5 years. It was one of the many times I've lost in excess of 50lbs and maintained for a period of time. But it obviously didn't work for me, and my metabolism is much less than a normal person. My calorie intake is 800-1000 right now in the weight loss phase. I eat 75g of protein a day in order to not lose lean body mass. A person who has not had WLS could not maintain this calorie level for a long period of time, without feeling hungry all of the time.

If you have success good for you, but for many of us it isn't as simple as move more eat less. I measure and weigh everything I eat and track it daily, as I will do for the rest of my life.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Jenni B.
on 11/14/18 2:49 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Height 62in, CW 228, RNY 2001 SW 368,

That calculator said that my BMR is 1706, that I need 2047 to maintain my current weight!!!

I haven't consumed that many calories in 17yrs, and I still regained weight. So am I to gather that I can eat 1200 calories and lose 1lb p/wk.....

If I did that I would weigh a s*** ton more than I do now!!!

btm61
on 11/14/18 5:00 pm

Jenni,

I am completely clueless as to the "calculator" everyone is talking about. I really don't pay much attention to any of the numbers except my current weight, calories burned, and calories consumed. It's worked pretty good for me.

Jenni B.
on 11/14/18 5:16 pm - Las Vegas, NV

In your first post on the subject, you included a link to check on BMR.

***No need to reply.***

btm61
on 11/15/18 7:03 pm

I probably shouldn't have done that, Jenni. I did say that it seemed to be fairly accurate in my case. The link certainly isn't what I use on a daily basis.

PrivateCitizen
on 12/23/18 12:25 pm

Every 500 calories that one ingests BELOW that BMR number represents one pound lost. ??

you mean 500 calories less a DAY over a WEEK, from your BMR is supposed to result in 1 pound loss? That is how it is normally expressed. is that was you mean?

Unfortunately we are not bunsen burners, take fat, add flame, see it burn. As Julia said, and I also experienced, that never takes into consideration age, disability, genetics, hormone levels, a lifetime of bad diets followed faithfully, until a new one was lauded as better, etc. You F* with your insulin enough times and it stops believing you, and results to what IT knows is best, keeps weight on you to protect from that next crazy famine thing you seem to get, so our WILL and belief that 500 calories or 1,000 less a day results 52 or 104 lbs lost a year...exactly, if one is perfect.

95-99% failure rate can only indicate the method we 'believe' is wrong.

As Erma Bombeck, the 1960s comedian sad "

"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."

Because by THAT 500 calorie less logic the body would ALLOW us to KEEP doing that, until we disappear, or die.

btm61
on 12/23/18 2:02 pm

Every 3500 calories burned per week over and above will result in one pound of FAT being burned, health issues aside. Have a great day.

snuzyQ
on 1/12/19 6:46 pm

Wow...and congratulations on losing 80 pounds in a little over a year! That's great work. I'm also losing weight using your technique, have looked at the general BMR calculations offered off the internet and find this is good enough for me...I don't want to spend the extra money to get precisely tested and measured. It seems unnecessary. My tape measure is quite precise and it's fun to watch the inches fall away.

I wish so much that the 500 calories below BMR would give me a pound lost, but the actual number is 3,500 calories, which equals 1 pound. However, if you chose to eat 500 calories per day less than your BMR, this really adds up fast, especially at first when your weight is at your highest value.

Most women, at any age, find that they will lose weight if they keep their calories under 1500 daily. However, some who are older (over 65) and shorter (5'5" or less) may have to go a little lighter on the calories to be effective at weight loss.

At age 66, 5'7", 255 lbs. at my heaviest, and only moderately active, I chose 1,450 calories as my daily cap. Sometimes I chart in a little under that each day, but it's always close...not very precise because, well, you just don't have to be. I do find that by recording everything that goes into my mouth, I stay under the daily calorie cap. By going at weight steady and slow, I'm tricking my body into non-fasting status. A fasting or severely calorie-reduced diet causes the BMR to slow. This is the body's way of surviving famine. A reduced BMR is not what I want.

So...come back...I need your support. I'm unable to get weight-loss surgery, which is what I originally wanted and aimed for. This is my last hope to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Keep up your good work. Life will be so much better on the other side when we achieve our weight loss goals.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 356 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 480 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 688 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 905 views