Things I'm learning

btm61
on 1/16/19 6:40 am

SnuzyQ, Thanks for the kind words. I should note that I'm a 57 year young man (I always told my kids that growing up was overrated) and 5'7".

This journey we're on is a long grind and full of up's and downs. I've set some pretty ambitious goals for myself this year and when talking it over with our trainer I asked her if she thought it was possible. She said she thought so but that the important thing was going to be to "trust the process" and ignore the number on the scale. I know people who obsessively watch the stock market every hour to see how they are doing, and I used to weigh myself every day I was in the gym, but it's not about the daily number it's about the trend. I now weigh myself once per week as well as meet with our dietician once per month, our LPN every other month, and our trainer about every 5 weeks or so, depending on how long it takes me to complete a "card". This week she put me on a really aggressive and much more demanding strength program so I'm really anxious to get that going full bore. I also set some aggressive fitness goals for myself, doing a 5k in less that 65 minutes, and riding a bike on one of our County Trails to a neighboring town (40 miles round trip). The last one will be fun because I haven't been on a bike in nearly 30 years, but I do plan on buying one this spring.

I was up 5 pounds over the Holidays, back spasms prevented me from exercising and I thought I'd reward myself for my hard work for the year by taking a week off. I didn't do anything dumb or consume 3000 calories in a day, but I did want to enjoy myself for just a bit. I've lost all but 1 of those pounds since then and am back in the gym 6 days per week. It's hard work but I really am enjoying the process and I truly do love going to the gym.

I wish you nothing but success in 2019 and let's make it a year to remember for all of us.

btm61
on 2/14/19 3:34 am

It's now February 14 and yesterday met with our Nutritionist and our LPN. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself down 11 pounds from my January 2 weigh in. I say pleasantly because I wasn't sure what to expect. I have been doing my fitness routine religiously and stuck to the process but I wasn't seeing the results on the scale. I'm sure that just about all of us have experienced those plateau's, you work and work and work, but nothing seems to be happening. Our Trainer kept reminding me that it was all about the process and to keep focusing on that so I have continued to trust the process. I also made some changes to my eating regarding my snacks and went back to what had worked for me the last half of '18, more fruits and veggies, good Protein bars ( I like the Quest bars) and I ramped up the intensity of my workouts. I cut my arc trainer workouts by 10 minutes per session but increased the resistance and incline settings and I still burn around 450 calories per workout. I also added a second 30 minute Circuit Training session at Planet Fitness every week to help keep my weekly calorie burn up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 356 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 480 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 688 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 904 views