storing protein shake left overs

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 9/4/11 9:52 am - GA
 So i am sure this has been answered before but i'll be darned if i could find it! 

i tried a recipe that came with my blender bottle and it worked out to be 8 oz or so, which is twice as much as i can drink at once. So i had the shake (meh) and i wonder how long i can store the rest before it goes bad? i know it shouldn't be long but i can't seem to find a consensus on how long is "too long". Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 
M

rbb825
on 9/5/11 1:35 pm - Suffern, NY
at one month out, you should be able to drink atleast 4 ounces at a time, so drink half of it taking small sips and then wait about 20 minutes if you need to and drink the other half.  You don't want to leave it sitting to long, I find they start to break down pretty quickly = atleast the homemade ones do.

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 9/5/11 2:27 pm - GA
 thanks! i wound up tossing the 2nd half, it thickened to pudding...blech. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/8/11 8:27 am

I used to make smaller amounts - 4 oz insteadof 8. Then 2 hrs later, next 4 oz.
I store my shakes, if I can't drink it right away. I put it in a SS theroms bottle, together with ice. Cold shake - and kept with ice - can store it for 2-4 hrs without degrading the taste or texture.
Many times - I make the shake using 8 oz of water , add proteins then add 1 cup of ice The ice makes it cold and keep it fresh.   ( i do use 1-2 scoops of whey isolate in my shake. ) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DawnVA
on 9/30/11 10:18 am - VA
Not only do they become yucky to drink, but I believe the protein in a homemade shake (when the powder is added to some liquid) starts to break down after a few hours.  So you're not getting the count you thought you were.

Most Active